Maintaining a lawn that people would be jealous of is a hard thing to do! This is especially true if your backyard has its little bumps and hills. With a turning radius that is effectively zero, the best zero-turn mower for hills is well known for its speed and agility. Incredible cutting times, great efficiency and easy operation are just some of the features this machine can offer.
The only weakness known to zero turn mowers doesn’t exist anymore. Thanks to the fact that international manufacturers have stepped up their game, you can now mow your lawn regardless of how smooth the surface is.
Our team knows that picking the right unit can sometimes be a hard job to do so we have not only created this buying guide full of tips, ideas, and useful information, but we have also made a special list with the best commercial zero turn mower reviews.
Best Zero Turn Mower for Hills Comparison Chart
Poulan Pro Briggs Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower
|View On Amazon|
Husqvarna 27 HP Zero Turn Mower
|View On Amazon|
Ariens Zoom 34 Zero Turn Lawn Mower
|View On Amazon|
Swisher Response B&S ZTR Mower
|View On Amazon|
Poulan Pro Zero Turn Riding Mower with Steelguard
|View On Amazon|
Husqvarna Kohler Engine Z-Turn Mower
|View On Amazon|
Top 6 Best Zero-Turn Mowers Reviews (New List)
So why don’t we begin with the top list right away? These products are not arranged in any specific order. You got all the freedom in the world to check them out and see what’s good for you.
1 . Poulan Pro Briggs Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower
Do you look for a combination of comfort, performance, and durability? Congratulations, you have just found it. This unit has a 22 HP Briggs v-twin pro engine and a 46-Inch stamped reinforced deck. It is super powerful and offers great maneuverability due to the dual wheel hydro transmission. Each wheel is controlled independently and that is why this mower is so good when it comes to hills. You just need to move your arms forward and backward and the mower will move too. Another advantage is the Hydro-gear EZT transmission. This product is the real bargain, it comes at a great price and at the same time offers a 3.5 Gallon fuel tank and a 10-year warranty.
- Operates fast and easy, cutting your mowing time in half.
- Super powerful – 22 HP Briggs v-twin pro engine
- Great maneuverability because of the dual wheel hydro transmission
- It is hard to find a bagging system for this unit.
- The fuel capacity is not that big
2 . Husqvarna 27 HP Zero Turn Mower
Husqvarna just knows what it’s doing and how to please its customers. This handsome beast is a perfect example of power and comfort. It has a 27 HP Briggs and Stratton Endurance V-Twin engine and a heavy-duty steel frame. The commercial rated hydraulic system makes this mower even more irresistible. The deck of this zero-turn mower is not only made of rugged fabricated steel but it is also collection and mulch capable. The maneuverability of this machine is good. The unit features a high back seat with armrests so that you are comfortable at any time and place. That is not everything, though. The mower also has ergonomic steering levers.
- Hydrostatic Gear Transmission
- 3 blade cutting system
- Powerful 27 HP Briggs and Stratton Endurance V-Twin engine
- Cutting deck lift that is pedal assisted
- No hitch
- Could be a bit too noisy
3 . Ariens Zoom 34 Zero Turn Lawn Mower
The Ariens Zoom 34- 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 34″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower takes performance and comfort to a whole new level. It is a heavily made and a high-quality product that you surely will be satisfied with. This zero-turn machine is suitable for small to medium-sized applications. It has 19 HP/660 CC Engine Power. Now we know that this may not look so powerful, but trust us, as long as you have a 1/2 to a 2-acre lot to mow with gates and other obstructions, this mower is your decision. It has 34″ Cutting Width, looks dope and comes at a great price that will not leave you broke so make sure to check it out!
- KOHLERÂ® 6000 Series Engine with 19 HP/660 CC Engine Power
- Heavily made
- Great price
- If there are big hills involved, it may not be powerful enough
4 . Swisher Response B&S ZTR Mower
We can without hesitation say that Swisher is one of the leading companies in the area of lawn and garden equipment. This mower is just the proof, we mean, look at it! You can say how powerful it is just by the looks of it. It has a 24 HP Briggs & Stratton engine and 54 in. 11-gauge fabricated cutting deck with 3 Gator mulching blades. The heavy-duty, welded steel frame is just another thing you can “WOW” at. The machine offers exceptional maneuverability and can easily turn a full 360 degrees. The unit also features Hydro-Gear 2800 transmissions and Ogura clutch. Other features include a full engine wrap, battery compartment, and cup holder…. Yes, that’s right, a cup holder…! And if all those things are not impressive, we do not know what is.
- Really powerful
- new Rapid Response Control System
- affordable price
- 8 gal. fuel capacity
- Could be a bit loud
5 . Poulan Pro Zero Turn Riding Mower with Steelguard
This baby will provide you with better airflow because of the 46″ Steelguard vented deck and with great durability due to the welded reinforcement bar. The machine features Dual EZT hydro gear transmission that will make sure you have the smoothest operation. The powerful 22Hp V-twin Briggs & Stratton engine makes sure that even mulching is possible. The mower has a welded, reinforced steel deck, and rugged steel frame that is proof of the efficiency you will get. This Poulan Pro 46 in. 22 HP Briggs & Stratton V-Twin Gas Zero Turn Riding Mower with Steelguard features even a maintenance and service reminder and optional headlights. If You have large yards – two acres and more, this power is great for maneuvering around obstacles such as trees and shrubs.
- Dual EZT hydro gear transmission
- Mulching and bagger capable
- Electric clutch
- Water hose connector
- Sometimes the belt is not well integrated
6 . Husqvarna Kohler Engine Z-Turn Mower
You can maintain your grass and lawn in style by using this all-new Husqvarna Z254 26HP 747cc Kohler Engine 54″ Z-Turn mower. The unit has 26hp Kohler 747cc 7000 Series V-Twin Engine. The product is suitable for hills, so if the area you want to maintain is uneven this mower will not disappoint you. Another great feature that the unit possesses is the 3-Blade Mower Deck made of reinforced stamped steel. The cutting-edge design of the mower is to die for and the performance you will get is more than satisfying. The product has an electric clutch deck engagement. Our team is sure that with a mower like this one lawn maintenance will no longer be an irritating chore for you.
- Powerful 26hp Kohler 747cc 7000 Series V-Twin Engine
- 3-Blade Mower Deck
- Electric clutch deck engagement
- Not suitable for things such as mulching.
What Is A Zero Turn Mower?
The evolution of lawnmowers throughout history is an incredible topic, as weird as this sounds. There are so many interesting facts and inventions.
In 1948 after years of trying, Max Swisher finally was able to create the first-ever commercially available zero-turn mower. He called it the “Ride King” and as you can probably guess it was a huge success! Throughout the years the features of a zero-turn mower have changed drastically. Manufacturers have been trying to come up with the longest-lasting lawn mower battery, the fastest and most effective mower and so on. Because of all that, now there is a great variety of such products.
Put in a few words, a zero turn mower is a riding lawn mower that has a zero turning radius. There are various ways to achieve that and depending on the brand and the model you can find mowers with a hydraulic or non-hydraulic speed control of each drive wheel, different fuel types, varying engine power options and much more. A zero turn mower or as people call it a z-turn mower is typically faster and more expensive than a normal riding mower.
Most of the models nowadays have four wheels, though sometimes some models come with a pivoting fifth wheel mounted in the center behind the driver. The steering control can also be different. Most zero turn mowers have two throttles instead of a steering wheel. They control the rotational speed and direction of each drive wheel.
Typically, the driver operates the throttles. Some zero-turn mowers have a joystick or a steering wheel. We will look at the advantages and disadvantages in the “how to choose the best zero turn mower” section, so do not stop reading!
How To Choose The Best Zero Turn Mower And What To Consider?
We know, there are so many things to consider that you already wish not having a lawn. Still, it is a job required if you want your lawn to be in perfect condition. Here are a few things you need to know when choosing your zero-turn mower.
- The quality grade of the mower- When it comes to quality we can separate five different grades: Economy, Estate/Midgrade, Semi-Pro, Commercial, Industrial. When you choose your unit, check carefully what exactly you are buying and if it suits your needs.
- Style of the mower- According to their style, zero-turn mowers can be Mid-Deck or Front Dec (Mid Mound of Front Mount). Mid-mound mowers are mostly used in the U.S. With them you need to sit over the deck while with a Front Deck, the deck sticks out the front of the mower. Front Mound mowers are mostly used in Europe and they are highly maneuverable. Though, commercial users like the mid-mount mowers more due to the fact that you can fit more of them on a trailer.)
- Type of the mower- There are four main types of zero-turn mowers
- Lap-Bar – This type of steering is probably the most common. It uses two levers that fold in front of you and that way you can drive and steer the mower.
- Steering Wheel – You get to drive the mower just like you drive your car – with a steering wheel and foot pedal speed control.
- Joy-Stick models – Yep, the name says it all, it’s like you are playing a video game.
- Stand-on mowers- These are used by professional contractors. They are super. maneuverable and contractors use them for production mowing. They use two levers.
- Fuel tank – You need to think carefully when choosing a machine like this one. You don’t want to buy something that has a super small fuel tank, while the area you want to work on is a huge one.
- Know your needs – If you have grass or weeds that are 12 inches to 6 feet tall then you do not, we repeat you do NOT need a zero-turn mower. The same goes whit pastures, fields, paddocks, timber and so on. If these are the reason for your troubles, then you should look for a rough cut mower or a rotary cutter. Find yourself the good quality brush cutter blade and don’t blame the mower that it can’t mow your horse pasture. After all, there are so many different types of brush cutter blades just find one! Yes, most zero-turn mowers are heavy-duty enough, but that is just not what they are created for. Don’t forget that their main purpose is to mow lawns.
- Attachments- This is something you certainly need to look for when choosing the right unit. There are a number of different attachments you can add to the versatility of zero-turn mowers in order to have an easier and even funnier operation.
- Let’s start with the bagging system. If you have one you will be able to collect grass clippings, isn’t that cool?! There are a lot of bagger options that you can choose from, including two- and three-bucket designs.
- Another cool attachment is the mulching kit. You add it to the deck and it mulches clippings back into the lawn. That way discharging the grass from the side chute is something you can forget about.
- If you add a hitch to the back of your zero-turn mower there are even more attachments, you can get. Spreader, dump cart, and plug aerator is just some of them.
- Some zero-turn mowers can have front-mounted attachments like snow blade or brush for cleaning snow and debris.
- Besides mower attachments, there are always some other things you can be interested in, such as weed barrier suitable for gravel, or plastic lawn edging for example.
- Comfort – This is something you should not underestimate. Make sure that the zero-turn mower you get is comfortable, especially when it is seat comfort that we talk about.
- Hill compatibility – As we said zero-turn mowers are not specially created for hills that is why sometimes using them on hills can actually be dangerous. Be careful when choosing your unit and always check if it is suitable for hills. This leads us to the next matter you need to consider…
- Engine- This is the second most expensive part of a zero-turn mower after the hydraulics. How hydraulics work is a matter that is not so easy to understand, still it is enough to know that they are what drives the mower and to replace them can cost up to forty-seven percent of what the whole machine is worth.
But enough of that, the engine is what we want to focus on! You need to know whether it is commercial or consumer-grade. The commercial engine offers higher use of running hours while a consumer one offers the opposite – lower use of run hours. When a mower is being manufactured, the manufacturer chooses an engine that is appropriate to the hydro system.
How Does Zero Turn Mowers Operate?
If you hate trimming, then you definitely need to have a zero-turn mower. This machine is specially designed to cut closely around obstacles. That way you will not need to trim and there will not be any uncut grass left due to the 180 degrees pivot this type of mower offers.
The higher the lever movement the mower has, the higher the fluid flow is. All of that translates into a rapidly turning wheel that will save you a lot of time and effort. A good zero turn mower can save you up to fifty percent of the time you are going to spend working with a normal riding mower.
The machine moves along a curved path if one of the wheels turns faster than the other. If both wheels turn at the same speed the zero turn mower follows a straight route. The mower pivots if the driving wheels turn in opposite directions or if one of them stops and the other turns.
There are two different types of zero-turn mowers that this drive system can be used on. The first one is the Mid Mount. With Mid Mount we have a 4-wheel chassis. The second type is Out Front where the mower is front mounted.
They are also terrain following and offer a higher balance and comfort, better performance and safety features. The Mid Mound mower features front caster wheels while the Out-front models use a centralized main drive wheel system. The wheel system of the out-front models has front and rear caster wheels, while the mid-mount one offers rear drive wheels.
As a steering system, both types use traction only that is why if the terrain is inclined you need to be super careful. Loss of steering will be caused if there is a loss of traction.
How To Maintain Your Zero Turn Mower?
How zero-turn mower works is not an extremely hard thing to understand. One of the harder things to do is to learn how to maintain your mower properly.
- Fuel your mower correctly! – Our team recommends you to use fueling mowers with gasoline that has an ethanol content of no more than 10 percent (E10). When the season comes to an end and it is time to store your mower, do not forget to use a fuel stabilizer. A fuel stabilizer prevents water and gasoline from separating and this way you will be able to use your machine next season with a fuel that is in perfect condition.
- Store your mower the right way! – Don’t leave it outdoors even overnight! Also, before storing the machine, don’t forget to dry it to remove excess water. If you ask a professional, he or she will always be able to tell if you store your mower inside or outside. If you take this seriously a covered trailer for hauling and storing equipment Is always the better option. Keeping your equipment in the garage or any other dry shelter will help the durability of the machine and save you time and money spent on maintenance.
- Be careful with the tire pressure! – If you want a prolonged life of your equipment this is advice you should take at heart.
- Keep the mower deck clean! – If you do not clean the bottom of the deck it could lead to its rust. Having a dirty “gunk” under the deck is also hard on the unit and the belts.
- Don’t be a skinflint! – We know that it is hard when you are on a budget but sometimes you have to spend some more in order to get “more”. So stop overthinking and get the best lawn tractor battery, that bagging system you wanted and the mulching kit you could not stop talking about. It is all one good investment and you will not be sorry about it.
Zero Turn Vs Riding Mower Differences
- The pattern of mowing- With a riding mower you have to reach the end of every grass swath, then you need to grass again in the opposite direction. Most of the times the full turning radius of this type of mower leaves a few patches of uncut grass. In this respect, zero-turn mowers are way better. They cut carefully around the barriers without living even a blade of grass.
- Speed –Because of everything we said above, zero-turn mowers operate not only more effective but also faster than normal mowers.
- Maneuverability – Zero-turn mowers can move easier than normal riding mowers as they feature a tighter turning radius. By that, they save you time and effort.
- Price- It is logical that zero-turn mowers are more expensive than riding mowers due to the fact that they are simply better at most things.
- Rough-cut capabilities- Zero-turn mowers simply don’t have such capabilities. It is simple, they have delicate hydrostatic transmissions and more complex and less rugged technology. So in this competition riding mowers are the champion.
- Maintenance- It is of no wonder that a zero-turn mower is harder to maintain. Still, there are various products related to lawns and gardens that will help you maintain not only your machine but also the area you work on.
Well, that’s all we got regarding the best zero turn mower for hills. You see now how many different things you have to consider before finding the most convenient unit, but we hope that we have steered you in the right direction.
If you liked our buying guide and you found our best commercial zero turn mower reviews useful don’t forget to check out some of our other articles related to this area of work. Our main goal is to help you pick the best products for you and your household!
We love having feedback from our readerс so if there is anything you would like to share with is just pop us a comment or leave us an email. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!