Have you ever thought you can control time? Of course not. But If you manage to get the best rain gauge you have the chance to predict what will happen and act accordingly. Whether you work as a meteorologist or simply want to have a barbeque in your backyard knowing when it will rain is key.
With a rain gauge, you not only get accurate weather information. But also, you will be informed if there is a flooding risk. What is more, because of the gadget’s unique design, you will improve the look of your garden or backyard.
There’s no doubt that choosing the right product is a tough assignment. This is why we have highlighted the top seven products on the market in our best rain gauge reviews. We are showing you their advantages as well as disadvantages. We have done our job – now you ought to do yours.
Best Rain Gauge Comparison Chart
AcuRite 5-Inch Capacity Easy-Read Magnifying Rain Gauge
|View On Amazon|
AcuRite Wireless Rain Gauge with Self-Emptying Collector
|View On Amazon|
Stratus Precision Rain Gauge with Mounting Bracket
|View On Amazon|
La Crosse Technology Wireless Rain Gauge
|View On Amazon|
La Crosse Technology Waterfall RainGauge
|View On Amazon|
Headwind Consumer Products Jumbo EZ Read Rain Gauge
|View On Amazon|
Frog Decorative Rain Gauge
|View On Amazon|
Here’s What’s Available Out There
This is our top list of the finest rain gauges you will encounter. We haven’t put them in any particular order so keep in mind that they do not go from best to last. The choice is in your hands completely.
1. AcuRite 5-Inch Capacity Easy-Read Magnifying Rain Gauge
If you want simple and yet effective rain gauge, then AcuRite 00850A2 5-Inch Capacity Easy-Read Magnifying Rain Gauge is the one for you. Designed to magnify rain measurements by over 35%, this rain gauge can measure up to 5 inches of rainwater.
Do not let its simple structure deceive you. Its acrylic constructions provide durability during cold weather. Hang hole is integrated for wall mounting, or stake into the ground. The key feature is that when it is filled with water, the numbers are magnified. Making it easier to read. Another thing that helps for this, is the white color of the numbers and inch markings.
- Can measure up to 5 inches of rain water.
- The numbers are magnified over 35%which helps to read without pushing yourself hard
- Easy-to-read because of the white numbers.
- Acrylic weather-resistant construction, which makes it durable
- Durable, due to its acrylic construction
- Can be mounted or stacked into the ground, due to the hang hole it has
- Prone to cracking.
- It could freeze during extremely cold weather, because of the material it’s made
2. AcuRite Wireless Rain Gauge with Self-Emptying Collector
Keeping track on rainfall data has ever been easier. Thanks to this new device this is possible. The AcuRite Digital Rain Gauge with Self-Emptying Wireless Rain Collector gives you accurate and precise rainfall database. Because of its bold LCD screen, not only that numbers are easy to read. But you can also check rainfall history, including a rainfall event, 1 day or 7 days of measurements.
One of the best features is the rain and flood alarm. Programmed to provide information when rainfall begins and when conditions are right for possible flooding. The outdoor sensor includes a self-emptying mechanism transmitting rain data wirelessly.
- The sensor spreads up to 100 feet away.
- Measures in inches or millimeters with history, that you can go back to
- Watch alarm indicating possibilities for flooding, let’s you know if it gets dangerous
- Penetrating signal (433 MHz)
- Transmits data every 16 seconds, so you get accurate live data.
- The gauge signals when it is raining
- Clock and calendar are included.
- Difficult to calibrate, if the instructions are not followed.
3. Stratus Precision Rain Gauge with Mounting Bracket
Whether you are a meteorologist or just a backyard enthusiast, Stratus Precision Rain Gauge is an item that everyone needs. Rainfall can be easily tracked, giving you precise data information. Because of its heavy-duty construction, the UV resistant polycarbonate, this rain gauge is durable during strong weather conditions. It will survive years, without fading or corroding, exposed on the full sun or rough weather.
With the “Quick Connect” bracket, it is really easy for this gauge to be installed on a post, away from a building or trees. This bracket lets you to remove quickly the cylinder for easy measurement or cleaning.
- Easy to read,
- Accuracy to 1/100th of an inch.
- Simple to install on a post, because of its Quick-Connect bracket
- Removable cylinder, when it needs to be cleaned
- Heat, frost and corrosion resistant, due to the UV resistant polycarbonate structure
- Registers even the lightless showers.
- Measures only an inch, which isn’t a big amount
- No markings on the large tube, this makes it difficult to identify and read the data
4. La Crosse Technology Wireless Rain Gauge
If you want to check the weather from today or last week, or you have been away for a while. This Wireless Rain Gauge is the best solution for this. It gives you accuracy not only for the past couple of hours but also monthly history.
It can monitor not only the rainfall but also the outdoor and indoor temperature. It displays time in either 12 or 24-hour mode. With this gauge, you can keep on track time, temperature and rainfall.
Another vital feature is the programmed rainfall alarm, which indicates for upcoming flooding. This rain gauge has a tilting measuring cup which measures precipitation and also it can self-empties when water overflows.
- Indoor and Outdoor Temperature is monitored.
- Built-in Rainfall and PrecipitationAlarm, which will inform you in case of flooding
- Strong, weather resistant construction.
- Has Rain Bucket for self-emptying, when the water overflows
- Accurate rainfall history table tracks last days, weeks or even months.
- Difficult to set time information
- Doesn’t store past data, when you change its batteries
- It can be difficult to stop the alarm
5. La Crosse Technology Waterfall RainGauge
If you are looking for a useful and simple rain gauge for your garden. Then La Crosse Technology Waterfall Rain Gauge is for you. Its design is inspired by a cascading waterfall, this item will improve the look of your garden.
One of the main reasons this product is for you is that its large digits and clear measurements floating line makes it really easy to read. Especially from a distance. The vibrant red line is another reason, which during the rain, floats. Ensuring the accuracy of the reading. Thanks to its mounting brackets it can be set up on a fence rail, or simply placed on a deck, at the most suitable height for reading.
- Easy to read, because it has large digits and a clear line for measuring
- The mounting bracket makes it able to setup on a deck, or somewhere else, just in the right height for you
- Red floating marker, indicating rain level, easy to differentiate from the other markings.
- Measures up to 6 inches of rainfall
- Simple to empty and clean.
- It can enhance the look of your garden because the design is inspired by a waterfall
- After a couple of years of usage, the plastic may turn yellow.
- Might crack at freezing temperatures, because of the plastic construction
6. Headwind Consumer Products Jumbo EZ Read Rain Gauge
With the help of this rain gauge, you can keep track, with extreme accuracy, of the rainfall in the living area. With its interesting bright yellow colors, this item adds unique style and radiance to your home or garden. This is a really good rain gauge for suburbia store customers. What is more, this item can be mounted on a fence or deck, for easier usage. Because of its self-sealing, leakage is prevented. Therefore the rainfall precipitation will be accurate every time. It’s also durable during winter, so don’t worry if it will freeze.
- Easily read from a distance, because of the bright yellow colors
- It can be suspended on a fence or a deck.
- Self-sealing included to prevent leakage.
- Durability during freezing weather.
- The Headwind DebrisGuardTM Funnel is included, preventing debris from entering and skewing a reading.
- The control over this product isn’t too good
7. Frog Decorative Rain Gauge
For some people gardening is more than just a hobby, it’s a method of living. If you want to make your garden look better and unique, then Frog Decorative Rain Gauge will do the job. Not only that it has a beautiful and eye-catching look, but it’s also very functional. Thanks to the glass tube, you can easily keep track of the rainfall in your backyard or garden. What would a decorative frog rain gauge be without an umbrella, protecting it from the rain in its left hand?
- Durable construction, made out of polystone, metal, and glass.
- Spike which sticks easily in the ground.
- Glass tube, with black numbers, thatmake it easy to read
- Weather and corrosion resistant
- Unique and detailed style, which will enhance the look of your garden.
- Glass tube isn’t durable
- Measures only in inches.
- Because it is really thin and tall the umbrella can be fragile.
Choosing The Best Rain Gauges
Briefly put, a rain gauge is a really simple and useful tool that helps you gather information about rainfall and risk of floods. Whether you area meteorologist or you just want it for your backyard. A device of this type can help not only to give you data about the rainfall but also alert you in case of flooding.
On the market, there is a big variety and it is really important to choose the best one to suit your needs. In this order, you can check our articles about other top-notch garden products which will help you maintain your backyard.
A highly essential thing to bear in mind when choosing the perfect rain gauge is understanding what you are looking for. Do you want a simple rain gauge, with easy to read numbers, to mount it on a deck or do you simply want to enhance the look of your garden?
The analog rain gauge meets both of these needs. It is simple and affordable, convenient for small areas. But on the other hand, if you are looking for a device covering larger areas, storing data information and operating wirelessly, then digital rain gauge is the one for you.
We can also say that there are many other products which could help you in taking care of your garden. Such product is the tow behind sprayer. A useful combination that works well together is between good quality tow behind sprayer, a lawn mower and a rain gauge. There are a lot of other articles you might find interesting to read. So, for example, keeping a lawn attractive is not an easy task to do. Especially if you do not have a lot of time.
What Is A Rain Gauge?
Simply put, a rain gauge is a meteorological instrument, used for measuring the amount of precipitation, most of all rainfall amounts, fallen during a given time at a specific location. It can be used in automatic weather stations or simply can be placed in your backyard. There is a variety of types of gauges. Some use direct measurement technique, others are completely automatic. Some types of measurement units are:
- Inches ( millimeters)
- Liters per square meter
How Does It Work?
Measuring rainfall amount of water and collecting accurate information is mainly done with rainfall gauge. This device gives precise database for the amount of water in your garden or backyard. What is more, some gauges can also alarm for upcoming flooding in the area they are placed. It is a really useful and practical device, but it can also enhance the look of your yard or garden. When it comes to the use of a rain gauge it can also help you with the not so exciting but important watering of your garden.
There are three main types of Rain Gauge: Analog Rain Gauge, Digital Rain Gauge, with self-emptying mechanism. Later we will talk about them.
All of them may work in a slightly different way from one another. The common way of working depends on these two most important parts, of which the rain gauge consists:
- A collector Funnel
- Mechanism to receive and measure the collected water
A special coating, which reduces the wetting of the surface is built in the interior of the funnel. The cone of the funnel needs to be deep enough, so it can allow the water to flow without risk of splash. In order to prevent debris, leaves or bird droppings from clogging the gauge, it uses a mesh filter. If the collected data shows that your garden doesn’t get enough water, you can use the good quality hose end sprayer to deal with this problem.
Following these simple steps, you will know how a rain gauge works and how it measures rainfall. This is relevant to analog/manual outdoor rain gauge.
- Install your rain gauge in your garden or backyard. Before each rainfall, you need to make sure that the gauge is empty, for accurate measurements.
- The rain gauge needs to be lifted to eye level to measure the rainfall.
- The water will occur a little curved. The height must be read at the base of the curve.
- Usually, it works in tenths of inches. When the liquid comes into the gauge it magnifies the measurements by ten. You don’t need glasses or lens to read the numbers.
- In order to use it for the next rainfall, you need to empty the rain gauge, because the new measurements may not be correct.
Types Of Rain Gauge:
Analog Rain Gauge Also Is Known As Standard Rain Gauge
Analog Rain Gauge is one of the most common gauges because it is easy to use but it is also really affordable. Usually, they are made out of clear acrylic or glass with markings in inches, millimeters or centimeters. Their mechanism to work is simple: the fallen rain is collected in a funnel-shaped collector that is attached to a measuring tube. Usually, the size of these tubes is about 8 inches. You can easily mount the mon a fence or deck rail.
The diameter of the collector is 10 times that of the tube. In other words, the rain gauge works by magnifying the liquid by a factor of 10. This device is really easy to use, it is very straightforward to understand.
The biggest advantage is that they are simple, they work. But most of all they are cheaper in general.
Reasons To Buy Analogue Rain Gauge:
- Affordable price tag – It’s a simple, yet an effective model, that comes with a reasonable price
- Easy-to-read numbers – most of them have big black numbers on a white background, which makes it really easy for the user to read them.
- Easy to set-up – simply mount the mon a deck or rail.
Using a standard rain gauge is really easy and simple. It is operated manually. There is no need for you to worry about not having batteries and therefore for it to not work. Unlike the digital rain gauges. In this article, we have covered most of the vital information about what it is and how to use the standard rain gauge.
Digital Rain Gauge
The Digital Rain Gauge is another device for measuring the amount of rainfall precipitation. Wireless rain gauges are not operated manually and it is really different than the analog one.
With the help of an outdoor sensor, digital rain gauge can measure the rainfall in your backyard or garden with a complete accuracy. Another advantage for this gauge is that the sensor can self-empties, because of a see-saw mechanism.
Weather data is transmitted wirelessly to a digital base where the information can be easily read and understood. What is more, some of these devices will store historical data, for the past hour, day, week or even month with precision!
Another feature, because of which they are worthy of your money, is that the indoor and outdoor temperature, as well as the level of humidity, are all monitored.
Often the recorded history of these rain gauges is stored and can be downloaded on your PC, laptop, or other devices.
Digital Rain Gauges have self-emptying rain collector which transmits data wirelessly. Therefore, you do not need to clean them before every rainfall.
Reasons To Buy Digital Rain Gauge:
- Accuracy – Precise measurements, you won’t have to manually log data yourself. This leads to less work for you, and most importantly – fewer possibilities for error and future inaccuracy. It is historical data stored.
- Convenience – Thanks to the wireless connection you can check weather information from the comfort of your couch.
- Timeliness – You do not need to wait for the rain to stop, to go outside and check the information. Just one click on your mobile device and you can see the rain data and the temperature as well.
- Low Maintenance – The only maintenance which will be required is from time to time to check the rain cup for clogging. As well as charging the batteries once or twice a year. Indicators for low batteries are included.
It is always easy to work with technologies and of course – it is timesaving. One of their many advantages it that you do not need to make sure you have emptied and cleaned the device before every rain, for it to work properly. But that does not mean that they do not have problems. It is easy to work with these units but in case if there are any rain gauge faults you need to know how to fix them.
Tipping Bucket Rain Gauge
Another type of rain gauge is the Tipping bucket rain gauge. Its construction has the following parts – a funnel that collects and channels the precipitation into a small seesaw-like container. Once the rain has entered the funnel, it pours into the cylinder and drains into the bucket. When a sufficient amount of water is collected, the bucket tips and makes the second bucket take its position. In most ways, the bucket typically tips over after gathering 0.01 inches of rain.
Optical Rain Gauge
The way it works is a little bit different than the other gauges. It is a row of collection funnels. There are a laser diode and a phototransistor detector below each funnel. The collected water drops into the laser beam path and the sensor. As the raindrops, the amount of light hitting the optical detector is reduced. What is interesting is that the amount of light intensity upon the optical detector is proportional to rainfall.
The last two types of rain gauges are mainly used in the industrial area. They are not really suitable for domestic usage, because they are made to cover up bigger areas of space.
So that’s the end of our article about the best rain gauge. At this point, you probably feel confident that you can decide which one will meet your needs. Buying the perfect rain gauge is not complicated if you know what you are looking for.
When buying a product, it is vital to find the correct balance between price, quality, and convenience. If you find our article useful, feel free to share our piece with everybody you know. In case our team has missed something in this article, do not hesitate to leave us a comment or send an email because your opinion is important for us. Feel free to spare some time and look around our site to find reviews on similar products. Thank you for checking our bes train gauge reviews and we believe that now you are correctly informed.