- Best Paver Sealer Reviews (New List)
- 1. EnduraSeal Wet Look Semi-Gloss Concrete Sealer
- 2. Foundation Armor Wet Look Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer
- 3. Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer
- 4. Foundation Armor Solvent-Based Silane-Siloxane Concrete & Masonry Sealer
- 5. Black Diamond Stonework Color Enhancer Sealer
- 6. Foundation Armor High Gloss Solvent-Based Acrylic Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer
- What Is The Ideal Paver Sealer?
- How Do Paver Sealers Work?
- Types Of Paver Sealers
- Key Areas To Focus On
- Best Paver Sealer Comparison Chart
- Wrap Up
Have you ever wondered why people are so fussy about picking the right product for their patio surface? It is definitely not because of boastfulness and bragging about being wealthy, but for the convenience that the best paver sealer offers. Moreover, a quality product for your stone paver sealer will save your time repairing and resealing your patio, add a fresh look to your property and protect your concrete surface.
And since picking the right paver sealer is a tough task, we have created this buying guide to help you pick the one that fits your needs. Also, our team has prepared a thorough list of the most important features to look for in a paver sealer, as well as types of sealers, key elements to focus on and their benefits and drawbacks.
EnduraSeal Wet Look Semi-Gloss Concrete Sealer
||View On Amazon|
Foundation Armor Wet Look Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer
||View On Amazon|
Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer
||View On Amazon|
Foundation Armor Solvent-Based Silane-Siloxane Concrete & Masonry Sealer
||View On Amazon|
Black Diamond Stonework Color Enhancer Sealer
||View On Amazon|
Foundation Armor High Gloss Solvent-Based Paver Sealer
||View On Amazon|
Best Paver Sealer Reviews (New List)
We will start off with some top picks which we found really practical and convenient for your home projects.
1. EnduraSeal Wet Look Semi-Gloss Concrete Sealer
The Endura Coat Seal is the perfect choice for any type of concrete and it protects stained, colored and stamp building materials. This product produces a semi-gloss wet look and it is highly durable. Also, you can secure your pavers, terrazzos, stones and stone concrete. In addition, your paver joints will be sealed and stabilized with this item. The only thing you need is to simply apply two thin coats with a roller and wait to get dry. However, depending on the weather in your area you may have to wait up to 48 hours before making sure is completely safe to step on. And spraying your surface with a sprayer is not a good idea as well since this product can clog the nozzles. This concrete sealer will slightly darken the place you are working on, but you will get a smooth and polished feel under your feet. Moreover, oil, grease, and deicing salts will be easily wiped off with a car wash soap and a brush.
- 100% pure acrylic
- non-yellowing formula
- easy maintenance
- great for brick pavers as well
- slippery if applied near pool areas
- epoxy smell for 2 days
2. Foundation Armor Wet Look Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer
If you are looking for satin to a medium gloss product, then this paver sealer is just for you. It can be applied to interior and exterior concrete, pavers, aggregate, concrete bricks, and natural stone. The Foundation Armor Solvent-Based Acrylic Concrete Sealer is ideal for garage floor coating, pool deck sealer, driveway sealer or warehouse floor coating. However, if used around pools, you’d better think of an antislip grit as a safety measure as it gets really slippery. Also, the manufacturer offers non-slip and matte packets to be purchased separately, which is a great assistance to your projects. In addition, this item comes in different color options and is resistant to UV, water, mold, mildew, and dust. Cleaning surfaces polished with this paver sealer will be a piece of cake as they prevent stains and chemicals to sustain. You can apply this item on a slate rooftop patio exposed to the scorching sun too. What is more, the instructions are clear and the manufacturer has also included practical advice for top product performance.
- up to 5 years of life before the need for a recoat
- freeze-thaw cycles and damage resist
- strong gasoline smell
- not appropriate for red clay bricks
3. Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer
Although a little bit expensive, this product is ideal for your indoor or outdoor projects. The Black Diamond Stoneworks Natural Stone Sealer is a water-based item and it can be applied with a sprayer, brush or a roll as its texture is smooth like skimmed milk. What is more, this paver sealer performs as a clear coat and if applied on grey concrete or light colored pavers, then you can be sure that it will not darken these surfaces. Despite its water-based structure, this product is resistant to chemicals and moreover, does not have a strong repulsive smell. In addition, you will be definitely satisfied with the results on your grout, concrete, pavers, driveways, garage floors, patios, and masonry and brick surfaces, no matter whether you are working with it inside or outside your house. Last, but not least, is the fact that many exterior professionals and landscape designers prefer working with this product.
- perfect for stone veneer and natural slate window sills
- will not darken the surface when it dries
- it will hold up even pet urine
- 600 square feet approximately application
- not for polished surfaces like granite, stone or tile
- inappropriate for a slate in the shower
4. Foundation Armor Solvent-Based Silane-Siloxane Concrete & Masonry Sealer
When wondering what to use for your concrete driveway in order to protect it from cracking, spalling and pitting, then this product fits the description perfectly. The Foundation Armor Penetrating Clear Solvent-Based Sealer is resistant to most common damages, no matter if they are weather-related or made by a human. This product penetrates into the concrete and thus creates a stronger and more resilient surface. It also minimizes the absorption of water and therefore reduces internal freeze-thaw damage caused by de-icing salts. Moreover, due to its 40% active material, this item is heavy-duty, non-slip, breathable and has a strong alkali resistance. This paver sealer will not give a wet look to the exterior as it is not a coating and it works entirely below the surface in the pores. In addition, this product will minimize the risk of staining or deterioration caused by water absorption. The quantity of 5 gallons will give you up to 500 square feet coverage in 2 coats.
- Absolute prevention of mold, mildew, and fungus
- Stops concrete dusting
- Lasts up to 10 years
- DOT approved as a water repellent sealer
- Ideal for brick application
- not suitable for asphalt
- will not stop rust or tire marks on driveways
5. Black Diamond Stonework Color Enhancer Sealer
This product is a top sealer if you are looking for something to refresh the color of your natural stone surfaces like marble, slate, limestone or travertine. The Black Diamond Stonework Color Enhancer Sealer is water-based and perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. It also helps seals out water without preventing moisture vapor transmission. However, we do not recommend you to use this product on previously sealed surfaces as the sealer will not penetrate well. Also, if you want a wet look on your pavement, then you might consider something else since this sealer is a top product for rejuvenating colors and protecting your surfaces. And this sealer works great if your bathroom needs to be spruced up, for example, but remember not to apply it on the floor as it gets really slippery. Moreover, the manufacturer has made it extremely practical as you can purchase the sample size first to test it on your target surface before spending more on the bigger size bottle.
- highlights and darkens unsealed surfaces
- low odor
- easy to apply with a paintbrush, roller or low-pressure sprayer
- not tested for heat
- will not penetrate into vinyl floor
6. Foundation Armor High Gloss Solvent-Based Acrylic Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer
If you are looking for a product to enhance the look of your dull or faded driveway or patio, then this high gloss solvent based acrylic sealer, put on the market by Foundation Armor, is the right choice. The item is durable and long-lasting and can be applied on poured concrete, stamped concrete and concrete pavers, as well as aggregate. Moreover, the lacquer has an even wider range of applications and you can use it for your garage floor, restaurant floor or pool decks. You simply cover the surface with 2 layers in order to get that shiny touch. The 5-gallon can will be enough for approximately 500 square feet, but the optimal thing is that you can apply it in small portions, depending on your time or current weather conditions. In addition, the wet look that this concrete sealer gives can be perfectly achieved with brick walls. And if you have thought of making more changes to your property, this lacquer is offered in 10 color options by the manufacturer.
- Stands up to abrasion, UV rays, hot tire pick up, hot and cold temperatures
- high gloss finish can stay up to 5 years on a two coat application before the need for a recoat
- Can be used on both unsealed and previously sealed surfaces with a solvent-based acrylic
- 100% acrylic
- it gets slippery on a wet pool deck
- not recommended to apply on a water-based sealer
What Is The Ideal Paver Sealer?
Giving your home the perfect finish is sometimes hard to be achieved. The area around the house is perhaps the most difficult space to decide on since your driveway or pool deck is always exposed to weather conditions –from extremely hot to freezing cold. This is the reason why you need to find a long-lasting solution to protect your exterior by choosing the right product. Paver sealers, however, are not one-size fits since there are a wide variety of types to choose from. Some work well on the exterior, others are great for indoor application. Hence, we recommend that you prepare in advance with some information about the following:
- the type of surface you are going to treat and where that place is – outdoor or indoor
- the size of the location in order to calculate the quantity of the liquid material you have to buy
- what kind of finished effect you want (semi-gloss, high gloss, matte or colored)
- the weather forecast so that you use the perfect weather for applying the paver sealer and waiting for it to dry
- what the main function of the product you are looking for, for example, to bring out colors or to be resistant to adverse weather conditions
- how durable the item should be
- the most practical and convenient way for you to apply the item– with brush, roll or sprayer
How Do Paver Sealers Work?
A paver sealer is a liquid substance which is used to protect concrete surfaces from damaging, corrosion and staining. Paver stone sealers can also be applied to any other places made of bricks, slate, limestone, grout, travertine and many more. These products have a special formula that prevents your surface from yellowish shades. Also, paver sealers can be a great helper for keeping cracks, peeling, flaking and pitting away from your concrete surfaces. In addition, these products are resistant to mold, mildew or algae and can protect your brick or concrete surfaces from efflorescence. Finally, the perfect paver sealer can produce different types of look – from semi-gloss to high gloss, matte or even colored to enhance your outdoor space.
Types Of Paver Sealers
When it comes to choosing the right concrete paver sealer, we have compiled a comprehensive list of the different types and main functions of the most common products on the market. Moreover, we have included some practical advice on the top locations for each type of liquid material for sealing.
And if you are thinking about installing a decorative heat source in your concrete patio, then you should definitely check out our top-rated fire pit for a wood deck guide and product reviews.
1. Solvent Based Paver Sealer
This kind of paver sealers consists of at least 40% active material. It forms a continuous film that protects stained, colored and stamped concretes. Also, it is characterized by high durability and reduces cracking, spalling and pitting. Solvent-based sealers come with UV protection and their formula is specially designed for freeze-thaw cycles resistance. Make sure not to miss out our top reviews and extensive guide on top-rated ATV snow plows.
- if the location has been treated with a solvent-based sealer, then it will not be a problem for the same type of product to be applied
- the wet-look finish on your surface
- high VOC
- strong smell and you need to wear a mask while working with them
- can be slippery around wet surfaces
2. Water-Based Paver Sealer
Paver sealers which are water-based are typically used to highlight and restore the original color of the surface. They are applied to a variety of working tops like stone surfaces and pavers. Also, water-based sealers will not make your area look wet or change its color. Moreover, this product will help seal out water and allow moisture vapor transmission.
The main advantages of water-based sealers are:
- low VOC
- easy to clean up
- mild to no odor
- easy to apply and work with
Nevertheless, there are some disadvantages you need to know:
- water-based paver sealers do not form a continuous film on the treated surface
- impossible to bond with previously sealed concrete or stone
- cannot be fixed, so problems like scratching, blushing and normal wear have to be removed every time you want to fix or reseal with this product
- can’t use a water-based paver sealer on a solvent-based, because the adhesion will be poor and soon the layer will start peeling off
3. Acrylics Paver Sealer
This type of paver sealer forms a thin-film coating on the surface and hence prevents the absorption of water. There is no chemical reaction between the sealer and the concrete and hence it can wear very fast. However, this product is perfect to be used around pools because of its waterproof qualities. Still, take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of acrylics paver sealers.
- dries quickly
- ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- can enhance colors, give a wet look, satin sheen or high gloss to your exterior
- 1 to 3 years typical lifetime
- water-based and solvent-based
- wears fairly fast due to the lack of chemical reaction with the surface
- requires maintenance
- it can become brittle or start to crack with time
4. Breathable Paver Sealers
In contrast to the previous type, the breathable paver sealers protect concrete without changing its appearance. Generally, this kind of paver stone sealer is not a coating, but something much more. This product reacts with the voids of the concrete and therefore soaks into the surface. What is more, you will not be able to say there is a sealer once the item gets dry. Scroll down to find out more about the perks as well as the obstacles you may come across with this type of paver sealer.
- excellent outdoor protection
- long-lasting and durable
- you can apply a coat on a previously sealed surface without the need of removing the first coat
- protects against water but breathes
- water and solvent-based
- will not give a gloss finish
- takes time to dry
5. Wet Look and Gloss Look Paver Sealers
Depending on your personal preferences, you can choose the finished appearance of your concrete patio. You can either opt for a surface that looks wet or exterior with extra shine.
- Wet look paver sealers
They darken the surface you have treated but add extra strength and longevity to the concrete. The reason for this is because this type of product is made of solvent-based penetration formula that forms a chemical reaction with the concrete and hence protects it better.
- Gloss look paver sealers
In order to get that shiny look on your patio, some of you may choose a product with a high percentage of acrylic. As a matter of fact, it is the quantity of acrylic that determines how glossy your treated location will be. Hence the more solids in the product, the better shine on the concrete.
Key Areas To Focus On
Perhaps this is the most important feature which you will look for in a paver sealer. On the one hand, the ability for a paver sealer to last longer does not merely depend on ingredients and chemical substances. On the other hand, you should think about the external factors like the climate in your area, the traffic on your concrete surface and the maintenance.
Our team has already discussed the types of sealers, but we are going to add a few more tips on what to look for.
- Be careful with acrylic sealers as they are highly sensitive to moisture. Moreover, the shiny topcoat that will sit on your concrete will be washed away or turn white if the weather is too humid.
- Bear in mind that too much sun or water exposure will also affect the durability of your paver sealer. High temperatures and damp weather have the most adverse effect.
- If your sealed surface is exposed to too much traffic, then you will definitely expect to reseal more often, as the top layer will start wearing sooner.
- Maintenance is among the conditions which will secure a strong top coat of your paver sealer. Make sure you clean it regularly and with the proper products as well.
Before going on with further explanations about concrete paver sealers, you may wish to check out our exclusive tips and extensive guides for your yard area for more information, advice, and help on your open space projects.
Some paver sealers do not only cover the surface you are treating, but they also make a chemical process that ensures better protection of your concrete. There are different types of such sealer, each with a specific characteristic. Scroll down for our extensive list.
Silicates also form a chemical reaction with concrete and form a non-soluble chemical bond with the elements in the hard surface. They come in two types-sodium and lithium. Both categories are perfect for smooth concretes found in garages or basements. What is more, lithium silicate offers Radon protection in case you have issues with this gas? Silicates will give your exterior a polished appearance.
This product is made up from very small-scaled molecules which are important for getting into smaller pores and therefore penetrate better in a large amount. This item is ideal for concrete surfaces with high density. Moreover, silanes will prevent the treated place from oil stains and water.
The molecules in this type of breathable paver sealers are large which means that they will not soak deep into the concrete surface, but rather stay on the top. This product is excellent to be applied as a coating on porous materials like concrete and stone.
Siliconates come with bigger molecules and also connect with the surface on a chemical level. In addition, the size of the molecules does not let them penetrate that much, but it is still enough to give you more coverage. Also, this product blocks water and helps freeze-thaw cycles. Another perk is the fact that siliconates resist deep stains.
- Thick Film Coating Paver Sealers
These paver stone sealers are excellent for high-traffic areas both for indoor and outdoor use. There are two main categories.
They are characterized by the ability to enhance different types of concrete-like colored, stamped or aggregate. Also, polyurethanes come in a range of sheen levels.
Epoxy paver sealers are mainly used outdoors, but you will find out that they are easily applied indoors as well. This type of product has a glossy finish and can change the action of pulling something along the concrete surface and hence, become slippery when wet. You can also add particles to this substance in order to achieve better traction. The top advantage of epoxy sealers is that they can last up to 7 years.
If you have a pool, then safety comes first when applying your paver sealer. No matter whether the manufacturer has stated that their product is non-slip, you should always think about some extra precautions. There are different ways to secure your patio and to make it more risk-free.
- Gritty sealers
Adding grit to your topcoat is one of the methods to make the surface non-slippery. This sand-like product forms a gripping texture thanks to the sand or anti-slip particles. Nevertheless, such coating doesn’t work with sealers that penetrate. Moreover, the top of the embedded sand wears down with time and you will end up with even more slippery surface.
- Slip-resistant tape
There are certain products on the market which are easily applied and offer protection against slipperiness. The anti-slip and nonslip tapes come in many sizes, colors, shapes and are easily applied on concrete surfaces. You only need to make sure your surface is clean and dry in order to install it.
Hard surfaces we step on are made of different materials. It is very important to know exactly what kind of pavement you will deal with so that you can choose the right paver sealer. Here we will give you some of the most common types of surfaces that are used outdoors.
- Sandstone – this substance is a fairly permeable natural stone. It is mainly used in patio areas and around pools. You can easily work with it and moreover, it comes in different colors and textures. However, a typical problem for sandstone surfaces is efflorescence, which can be removed by brushing or a mild acid. Also, there are paver sealers on the market that offer protection against this white powder.
- Granite, basalt, and slate – these types of substrates are barely permeable natural stones which mean that they are resistant to scratching and staining. A common problem with them is staining and hence the right stone sealer will protect such floors. The perfect way to keep the nice and clean look is to wipe up spills as soon as possible. Also, it is a good idea to use an oil-resistant sealer.
- Concrete block pavings are perfect for patios, driveways, and footpaths. Nevertheless, such surface has problems with staining and efflorescence and due to concrete absorption qualities; any dirty spot left on it for longer will eventually penetrate and give your area an unattractive look. So you can opt for a penetrating or a stain-resistant sealer.
When you have to decide on the final look on your finished surface, there is also a variety of options to choose from.
- Invisible paver sealers are such that when dried cannot be detected with the naked eye. The treated surfaces do not have a wet look or a shiny coat.
- Damp-look products give your concrete patio a nice wet appearance without being glossy. Also, these products tend to enhance the color of the treated surface.
- Low sheen paver sealers usually have a low percentage of solids in them and hence give a semi-gloss look.
- Wet-look or high gloss is a desirable effect for many on their pavement. This type of shiny topcoat will not only enhance the color of your exterior but also make it easy to maintain.
Best Paver Sealer Comparison Chart
|EnduraSeal Wet Look Semi-Gloss Concrete Sealer||$$||5 Gallon||100% pure acrylic||Clear||150-300 square feet per gallon|
|Foundation Armor Wet Look Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer||$$$||5 Gallon||Acrylic||Clear||up to 500 square feet in two coats|
|Black Diamond Stoneworks Wet Look Natural Stone Sealer||$$$||4 Gallon||Water-based||Grey concrete or light colored||600 square feet|
|Foundation Armor Solvent-Based Silane-Siloxane Concrete & Masonry Sealer||$$$$||5 Gallon||Silane/siloxane based concrete||Clear||up to 500 FT2 in two coats|
|Black Diamond Stonework Color Enhancer Sealer For All Natural Stone and Pavers||$||1 QT||Water-based||Wet look||100-400 sq. ft. per gallon|
|Foundation Armor High Gloss Solvent-Based Acrylic Concrete Sealer and Paver Sealer||$$$||5 Gallon||100% pure acrylic||Clear||up to 500 square feet in two coats|
It is time to bring our guide to a stop. We hope that now you have all the information, practical advice and confidence to make up your mind on the product that best fits your needs. Also, with this best paver sealer extensive guide and top picks reviews, you are surely going to give your patio, driveway or pool area the perfect finish you have always wanted to.
As always, we are open to your feedback and would appreciate any comment left by you. If you liked the article, show it to your friends or share it online. Let us know if anything can be changed or improved. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!