- Our Best Lawn Tractor Battery Reviews
- 1 . ExpertPower EXP1250 12V 5Ah Battery
- 2 . UPG Sealed Lead Acid Batteries
- 3 . ExpertPower EXP12200 12 Volt 20 Ah Rechargeable Battery with Threaded Terminals
- 4 . Mighty Max Battery 12V 35AH SLA Battery for John Deere Tractor Riding Mower
- 5 . Chrome Battery Rechargeable 12V 35Ah (Replaces Husqvarna YTH2448 Lawn Tractor Battery)
- 6 . Power Star Replacement Part For Toro Lawn Mower Battery-12 VOLT
- What You Should Know About Your Lawn Tractor Battery
- Factors To Consider Before Buying A Lawn Tractor Battery
- How To Know If A Lawn Tractor Battery Is Dead
- When To Replace Your Battery
- Lawn Tractor Battery Maintenance Tips
- Choosing A Lawn Tractor Battery Charger
- Best Lawn Tractor Battery Comparison Chart
- Wrap up
If you are one of those people who prefer battery-powered tractors and mowers to the electrically driven ones, then you know how hard it can be to find the best lawn tractor battery.
We know how you feel. Battery-powered tractors and mowers save you time and effort as they don’t need to be connected to any power outlet and you can move them as far as you need. Therefore, you think they are a great deal. Yes, we won’t argue, they are! Still, that does not mean that you won’t have to do other things, such as changing a battery, for example.
Batteries are undoubtedly a sensitive purchase. There are dozens of things you need to consider or else you could damage either your equipment or the battery you so carefully chose. Don’t panic! Our team has got you covered. We have created this useful buying guide full of tips, information, and rules on how to find and use a good lawn tractor battery.
- ExpertPower EXP1250 12V 5Ah Battery
- PRICE $
- Dimensions : 3.5 x 2.8 x 4"
- Weight : 3.3 pounds
- Battery Type : 12 V 5AH
- Technology : Absorbed glass mat technology (AGM)
- UPG Sealed Lead Acid Batteries
- PRICE $$
- Dimensions : 7 x 6.5 x 3"
- Weight : 11.52 pounds
- Battery Type : 12 V 18AH
- Technology : Absorbed glass mat technology (AGM)
- ExpertPower EXP12200 12 Volt 20 Ah Rechargeable Battery with Threaded Terminals
- PRICE $$
- Dimensions : 3 x 6.5 x 7.1"
- Weight : 12.5 pounds
- Battery Type : 12V 20 AH
- Technology : Utilizes Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology
- Mighty Max 12V 35AH SLA Battery
- PRICE $$$
- Dimensions : 7.68 x 5.16 x 7.13"
- Weight : 23.15 Lbs
- Battery Type : 12V 35AH
- Technology : Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology
- Chrome Battery Rechargeable Lawn Tractor Battery
- PRICE $$$$
- Dimensions : 7.7 x 5.1 x 6.5"
- Weight : 21.7 pounds
- Battery Type : 12 V 35 AH
- Technology : Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology
- Power Star Replacement Part For Toro Lawn Mower Battery
- PRICE $
- Dimensions : 5.28 x 2.64 x 2.4"
- Weight : 4 pounds
- Battery Type : 12 V 3.3AH
- Technology : Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology
Our Best Lawn Tractor Battery Reviews
So let’s not keep you waiting and begin with our list right away. Keep in mind that these products are not arranged in any specific order. You have plenty of time to read the reviews and decide which one is most suitable for your needs.
1 . ExpertPower EXP1250 12V 5Ah Battery
Are you looking for a practical and extremely durable home alarm battery? Well, you have just found one of the perfect ones. This 12-volt battery, with its practical size, makes it for many popular applications such as the portable speakers and Uninterruptible-Power-System. This product gives you good value for money because of its external casing. The battery is protected against spills and leaks and also offers you a relatively long service life.
- Easy one-time installation, getting your system or application running straight away, effortlessly.
- Assured high-quality.
- Durability, because of its rugged construction
- Utilized absorbed glass mat battery (AGM) technology, providing a wide temperature range.
- A wide range of usages such as Electric Scooters, UPS Systems, your Home Alarm and much more.
- Offers you a relatively long service life.
- High discharge rate.
- Maintenance free.
- 12 Volt 5ah / 20 Hr SLA Battery
- Handles for easy carrying.
- It needs a full 24 hours charge, otherwise, it may not last long.
2 . UPG Sealed Lead Acid Batteries
This is one of the top UPG’s batteries, providing you with a long time working hours, without charging it. Because of its AGM, which means Absorbed Glass Mat Technology, it is ideal for charging wheelchairs, ATVs and many electrical devices. Extremely easy to use, with no effort. Fully charge it and it will last you for years.
- Easy to use and one-time installation.
- Variety of usages such as in UPS backup systems, flashlight spotlights, and other equipment.
- AGM – absorbed glass mat technology
- Ideal for charging wheelchairs, ATVs, motorcycles, personal, and snowmobiles.
- Because of its construction, this battery is spill and leak proof.
- A weight of 12 lbs (5kg), so you can put it anywhere.
- Handles included.
- Must be fully charged battery, or it will not work for so long.
3 . ExpertPower EXP12200 12 Volt 20 Ah Rechargeable Battery with Threaded Terminals
If you are searching for a high performing but also long lasting product then you might have found it. Because of its performance, it is a really trusted and highly reviewed product on Amazon. Made with the highest quality materials, it is resistant to shock, vibration, chemicals, and heat. Its spill-proof construction makes these batteries safe to use even outdoors. This is because the acid inside is absorbed between the plates.
- Battery Type – 12 volts 20 Amp 20 Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery with”B1” terminals
- Maintenance free and Valve regulates, which saves you time and effort.
- Easy to be installed, because it has a highly durable and rugged construction.
- Spill-proof construction, which sometimes may save you a lot of troubles.
- Handles for easy transporting and carrying
- Once they are fully used, you need to recharge them for about 24 hours, before using them again, otherwise, they will not last long.
4 . Mighty Max Battery 12V 35AH SLA Battery for John Deere Tractor Riding Mower
Tired of running out of battery for your devices at the time you need them most? You don’t have to worry about this anymore. Because this Mighty Max has a heavy-duty, calcium-alloy grid, which provides high-quality performance. As well as a service life in both float and cyclic applications. It can be used for a variety of applications including Power sports, Portable Tools, Solar, Motorcycles, Medical Mobility and many more.
- This is a 12V 35AH Sealed Lead Acid rechargeable battery.
- Maintenance free.
- Dimensions: 7.68 inches x 5.16 inches x 7.13 inches.
- Spill-proof resistance, because it’s valve regulated
- High discharge rate, with wide operating temperatures and deep discharge recovery.
- This rechargeable battery can be placed in any position.
- Its construction makes it durable and also shock and vibration resistant.
- Even in low or high temperatures, it has long lasting high performance.
- Handle for easy transporting.
- Battery needs an uninterrupted 24/48 full charge, otherwise, it will not last long.
5 . Chrome Battery Rechargeable 12V 35Ah (Replaces Husqvarna YTH2448 Lawn Tractor Battery)
Did you get tired of your Lawn Tractor dying in the middle of your work, because of the battery issue? Well, then this Chrome Battery is the solution for you. Really easy application, coming fully charged, these batteries are ready to be used, once delivered. Because of their lead calcium alloy and absorbed glass mat technology construction, this product will save you time, because it is maintenance-free. Your lawn tractor, motorcycle or anything you desire will be fully charged and ready to use.
- Battery type: 12 Volt 35 AH, sealed lead-acid battery with T3 terminal.
- It is rechargeable.
- Fits in a variety of devices, from alarm systems to mobility scooters.
- Length: 7.68 inch height; 6.46 inch width; 5.12 inch
- Spill-proof battery, with no maintenance required, because of its construction.
- Coming fully charged and ready to be used, once delivered.
- Slow charging
6 . Power Star Replacement Part For Toro Lawn Mower Battery-12 VOLT
We can say without hesitation that Power Star is one of the leading brands in the are of rechargeable batteries. This Replacement part for Toro Lawn mower # 106-8397 BATTERY-12 VOLT is a proof of that statement. Its AGM System prevents the escaping of electrolytes from the separator, therefore no chance of leakage. It is simple to use, with stable and reliable performance. Maintenance free and most of all this little friend can withstand overcharge, over discharge, vibration, shock, and is capable of extended storage. Everything you need in one battery is here.
- 2-year free replacement warranty.
- AGM System, preventing from unwanted leakage.
- 12 V 3.3AH
- Sealed – maintenance free, saving you time.
- Gives you stable and reliable performance, giving proper operation of the equipment that it powers.
- Extremely durable, it can withstand overcharge, over discharge, vibration, shock, and is capable of extended storage.
- Long service life.
- May need a recharge after the 3rd or 4th crank.
What You Should Know About Your Lawn Tractor Battery
Our team has gathered everything you need to know about lawn tractor batteries in one place. First and foremost, we need to start with a definition, after all, we need to know exactly what we are dealing with, right?!
You need to think of the battery as the heart of your machine. Just like in the human body, if your lawn tractor or mower doesn’t have a heart, it can’t start working. Everything in this world needs a power source and for a mower or a lawn tractor, the battery plays this role.
If your goal is a perfect lawn, you definitely need a reliable lawn mower. That said, it is only logical that you also need a powerful, high-quality battery that will get the job done perfectly. After all, nobody wants to spend all of his or her time in the garage doing maintenance. Unfortunately, you can’t get away only with that. If you truly want the perfect lawn, things such as the best landscape edging, good brush cutter blades and so on, are also necessary.
So, what are the things you need to consider when you choose a lawn tractor battery?! They are not so many, but they are all important! Features such as voltage, terminal position, size, and construction are just a few of the factors playing role in the quality of the unit. Let’s take a thorough look at them in the next section of our buying guide.
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Lawn Tractor Battery
This is surely the first thing you need to start with as it is probably the most important. The voltage rating of a battery is of huge importance. It shows us how much current can flow through the battery at a given time. When it is a lawn tractor battery that we talk about, the normal voltage is somewhere around 12 volts. There are special batteries, though, that have a higher voltage – as much as 40 volts and more! So, it is important to know if the voltage of the battery you have in minds suits your lawn tractor’s volt requirements.
Size and Terminal Position
Each battery does not only have different voltage but also a different size. The Battery Council International differentiate different groups of batteries according to the size and the voltage. The general types of batteries are categorized under the U1 group and they are about 5.1 inches wide, 8.3 inches long, and 7.25 inches’ high. Depending on the position of their positive terminals there are two main types of these batteries- U1 and U1R. The first ones have their positive terminals on their left side while it is the opposite with the U1R ones. You may think that this difference is not so important, but bear in mind that the length of a mower’s battery cables can prevent fitting. So, to know what you should be looking for – a good u1r battery or simply a u1 one, is really important. Always check the terminal position of the battery you are going to buy and see if it matches the one of your old battery.
In general, metal plates submerged in a sulfuric acid solution is what the batteries are made of. The common batteries have plates made of lead impregnated with antimony. Usually, batteries with lead plates are not recommended. They tend to lose charge over time even if not in use. Another disadvantage is the fact that the antimony content of the plates can be the reason for faster corrosion of the battery components.
However, as technology develops, a lot of the newer and modern batteries contain calcium within their plates. This is a convenient solution of the self-discharge and corrosion problems. Not only that but calcium batteries are also less prone to vibration and impact damages. If you want a battery that will not spill if it tips over you to need to look for absorbed glass mat and gel cell batteries. This is due to the fact that they limit the amount of liquid acid in the battery.
Keep in mind that they are more expensive since they are of higher quality.
Cold Cranking Amps
Don’t look so scared, this only sound so hard to understand. In reality, it is super simple. Batteries produce ‘cold cranking amps’ and they are rated in regard to the amount they can produce. Each battery can deliver a different current in 30 seconds at zero degrees Fahrenheit and that is exactly what the CCA rating measures. This is important because cold climate conditions play a huge role in how good a battery is. Put in a few words, that is what lawn mower battery cold cranking amps are. The higher the CCA value, the more power the battery has. Therefore, if you live in a cold area, you can see how reliable the battery will be under cold climate conditions. We know that is unlikely to use your riding mower, for example, when the temperature is below zero but isn´t it nice to be sure that your machine can outstand everything, even the harsh climate.
It is probably unnecessary to say it, but our team wants you to think about everything that could be a problem when and after you buy yourself a lawn tractor battery. So the protection is something you need to think about. Keep in mind that you will need a place to store your battery, especially during the winter months. We will talk about that again when we start with the maintenance tips, still, this is a factor to consider when choosing your battery.
How To Know If A Lawn Tractor Battery Is Dead
Every person who maintains a lawn in the right way has a mower or a lawn tractor. If the machine you have is a battery-powered one, knowing when to change the lawn tractor battery is some pretty essential information. We all look for a good warranty on our lawn mower battery, still, sometimes even warranties are not a guarantee and bad things just happen.
After being stored for months during winter, your lawn mower or tractor battery can lose its charge. Same goes for when your battery is not used during long periods of drought. Most of the times charging the battery for a few hours fixes the problem. However, if that doesn’t work the first thing you need to do is testing it with a multimeter. That way you will determine if the battery is dead or if there is another part of the electrical system that has a problem. The battery is good when it has 12.7 DC volts or higher. That means that something else is causing the problem (starter interlock, for example). If the multimeter reads 11.5 volts or lower and you have already tried charging it and it didn’t work, than the battery is most likely sulfated and you will have to replace it.
This happens when the molecules in the electrolyte are already so discharged that they start to build upon the lead charging plates. When this happens, a decreased performance is always to be noticed. Eventually, the battery will quit during use or it will be impossible to charge it. So, if sulfation is your problem then you definitely need to change your lawn tractor battery.
If your battery is good but there is still some problem with your machine, then you probably have a problem with the interlock. Most starter interlock switches can be found under the seat or in the handle. If you have bent, corroded or in the worst case scenario, broken contacts the interlock will not enable the starter of the motor. The same goes if your wiring is damaged. We would advise you to use your DMM in order to trace the interlock circuit. That way you could repair it or adjust it.
When To Replace Your Battery
It is simple! If one of the things listed below describes your situation, then yes, you need to change your battery.
- The battery case is leaking and is cracked.
- There is bulging on your battery case.
- You have damaged terminals.
- You have corroded terminals.
- There is a low electrolyte level.
- The battery can’t be charged anymore – usually due to sulfation.
Lawn Tractor Battery Maintenance Tips
Maintaining your lawn is not an easy task. There are so many different products related to lawn maintenance, that you can get a headache just thinking about it.
Fortunately, keeping your lawn tractor battery in good shape is not that hard at all. There are a few things you need to do and if you do them correctly you should not be worried about a thing.
- Keep your battery charged
If you want to extend the life of your lawn tractor battery it is a good idea to maintain it fully charged. That way you can get four to five years of life. This is because all lawn and garden batteries are flooded lead-acid batteries. If they don’t have a regular charge cycle they will start to crystallize and eventually lose their ability to stay charged. So, do not store the battery in a discharged state is a rule you need to remember!
- Always keep your battery clean.
The same way you keep your garden and lawn in a good form, using the best brush cutter blade, fertilizer spreaders, and so many other gadgets, you have to keep your battery clean. The only thing you need is a wide brush or terminal cleaner and even heavy corrosion will not be a problem for you. Don’t forget that the terminals should be sealed with anti-corrosion gel if you want to prevent the build-up of corrosion.
- Check the water inside the battery regularly.
Don’t forget to fill it. If your battery has removable caps, check the water levels and fill with distilled water every time when necessary.
- Check your terminal connections on a regular basis.
You need to make sure they are tight because if that is not the case you can get a faulty battery. That is not everything, loose terminals can lead to low charge rates and corrosion.
- Be careful with the wires.
If they are corroded, burned or frayed you need to change them ASAP. Power leads are super important if you want your machine to work correctly.
- Don’t force it
As we said, each battery has its own size and if the battery you have does not fit, don’t force it in as it may cause a problem later on.
Choosing A Lawn Tractor Battery Charger
As we have already mentioned, a typical modern lawn tractor will need a 12-volt battery. (the lawn tractor manufactured before 1980 are an exception. They use a 6-volt system and battery) The voltage of the battery being charged is the primary factor you have to consider when choosing your battery charger. Most chargers can handle a variety of voltages and may have a switch that will allow you to choose the voltage that suits your battery.
The battery charger may have different charging features and options. Trickle or fast-charging, a “jump” mode, even timed charging, are some of the examples. Our team recommends that you look for a 2-amp charge rate. It is the perfect option for lawn tractor battery recharging.
How To Charge My Lawn Tractor Battery
- Remove the battery
You will probably need a pair of pliers or crescent wrench.
- Choose an area that is well-ventilated
- Connect the battery charger
The battery charger needs to be connected to the battery posts. The black clamp always attaches to the negative connector while the red clamp needs to be connected to the positive one. After you have done this, plug in the battery charger. Look at the charge meter or the LED light indicator. You can find out if the battery is fully charged in two ways. If you use the latter, you need to wait for a green light, and if you use the former, the battery is ready once it reads zero.
- Unplug the charger
Best Lawn Tractor Battery Comparison Chart
|ExpertPower EXP1250 12V 5Ah Battery||$||3.5 x 2.8 x 4"||3.3 pounds||12 V 5AH||Absorbed glass mat technology (AGM)|
|UPG Sealed Lead Acid Batteries||$$||7 x 6.5 x 3"||11.52 pounds||12 V 18AH||Absorbed glass mat technology (AGM)|
|ExpertPower EXP12200 12 Volt 20 Ah Rechargeable Battery with Threaded Terminals||$$||3 x 6.5 x 7.1"||12.5 pounds||12V 20 AH||Utilizes Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology|
|Mighty Max 12V 35AH SLA Battery||$$$||7.68 x 5.16 x 7.13"||23.15 Lbs||12V 35AH||Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology|
|Chrome Battery Rechargeable Lawn Tractor Battery||$$$$||7.7 x 5.1 x 6.5"||21.7 pounds||12V 35AH||Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology|
|Power Star Replacement Part For Toro Lawn Mower Battery||$||5.28 x 2.64 x 2.4"||4 pounds||12 V 3.3AH||Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology|
Well there you go – that’s the end of our buying guide on how to get the best lawn tractor battery. We hope that you have found the information you needed and that you are now ready with your choice.
Finding the right product is a tricky process, but if you think this buying guide was useful, don’t forget to share it with your friends and family! On the other hand, if you think we have missed anything or you want to share something with us, do not hesitate to leave a comment or pop us an email.
When it comes to lawns and gardens there are a lot of different products that could be useful for you, so go check out some of our other articles devoted to picking the right unit. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!