- Top 10 Best Lawn Edging Reviews (Updated List)
- 1. Master Mark Plastics 95340 Terrace Board Landscape Edging Coil
- 2. Dalen Products Gardeneer Edge Pound-In Garden and Landscape Edging
- 3. Dimex EdgePro Plastic Heavy Duty No-Dig Edging Kit
- 4. Suncast FSE10LT Edging, Flagstone
- 5. Coyote Landscape Products Steel Edging with 15 Edge Pins
- 6. Trim Free Landscape Edging
- 7. EverEdge Steel Lawn Edging
- 8. Greenes Fence 18 in. Half Log Edging
- 9. EverEdge Steel Lawn Edging
- 10. Dimex EasyFlex Commercial Grade Aluminum Landscape Paver Edging Kit
- What Is Lawn Edging?
- Types of Edging
- Best Landscape Edging Comparison Chart
- Wrap up
Creating a peaceful place for rest in your backyard requires hard work. Having a piece of heaven only for yourself is a dream for most people. These are some of the reasons you will want to get the best landscape edging.
To help with your decision we have selected the top ten products for landscape edging on the market. For each of them, we’ve got some interesting pros and cons. All you have to do is read the best lawn edging reviews and pick the most suitable one for you.
It’s not just about aesthetics. So even though the edging helps enhance the appearance of your backyard it can also significantly reduce the lawn’s maintenance, as long as you select the right product. This is where you trust our judgment and experience by reading our top picks below.
Master Mark Plastics 95340 Terrace Board Landscape Edging Coil
||View On Amazon|
Dalen Products Gardeneer Edge Pound-In Garden and Landscape Edging
||View On Amazon|
Dimex EdgePro Plastic Heavy Duty No-Dig Edging Kit
||View On Amazon|
Suncast FSE10LT Edging, Flagstone
||View On Amazon|
Coyote Landscape Products Steel Edging with 15 Edge Pins
||View On Amazon|
Top 10 Best Lawn Edging Reviews (Updated List)
Figuring out which lawn edging meets your needs can be difficult due to a big number of materials, styles, and intended application. To spare you all the troubles we have put together a list of 10 perfect lawn edgings. In these reviews, we have highlighted what each one of them does. Keep in mind that these products are not arranged in any specific order. You can choose for yourself which one is best.
1. Master Mark Plastics 95340 Terrace Board Landscape Edging Coil
Placing a Landscape edging can be tricky, but with this lawn edging it is really easy to do. One of the best things about it is its flexibility. You can use it for the most aggressive curves your lawn may have.
Another vital feature is that, beyond its flexibility, this product is really easy to cut through so you can have any size you need. One of the good things about this lawn edging is that it is water resistant. This landscape edging product looks like a textured, grained wood. It is made out of strong, recycled plastic and will last for a long time.
- Easy to use.
- Extremely flexible and easy to manipulate lawn edging.
- Because it is made out of recycled plastic it will last you for a year and you are being eco-friendly this way.
- Isn’t structurally durable.
- Will take you time and effort to install and straighten it
2. Dalen Products Gardeneer Edge Pound-In Garden and Landscape Edging
Pound-in Edging is a great example of strong, durable and really easy to use landscape edging. Coming in black color this product is a perfect finish for every landscape project. The bed of your lawn will look complete and unique. Not only that this “shark tooth” cutting design penetrates all soils, but it also is extremely easy to install. It can be simply hammered into the ground with no edging stakes required. The product covers 18’ of the area with easily connecting interlocking sections.
- Effortless to install, it has a strong and durable construction.
- No need to dig trenches, simply hammer it into place.
- Thanks to the deep ground anchors, the product is kept into place during extremely cold and wet conditions.
- Covers 18 ft ( 16 interlocking pieces )
- Made out of recycled materials.
- When pounding one part into the ground there is no mechanism to hold it in while you attach the adjoining unit. You might have to go back and forth pounding each part.
3. Dimex EdgePro Plastic Heavy Duty No-Dig Edging Kit
This Edging Kit can help make your garden look beautiful and unique, without hiring a professional. You can easily place it around raised flower beds, trees, and garden using a rubber mallet to drive the spikes into the tabs for a long-lasting border.
Because of its plastic construction, it is easy to be manipulated. From a straight line, you can make beautiful curves around the wanted area. You can cut it with garden shears, for shorter lengths, according to your needs. Another way is to simply use the included connector to join multiple coils for a larger area.
- Simple to install.
- Fully water resistant.
- You can simply customize the length, according to your needs.
- There is a connector to join multiple coils.
- Made out of flexible recycled plastic, allowing you to install it inline or molded to curves.
- Has short height, which makes it uncomfortable to use.
- Not very structurally durable because of its plastic material.
4. Suncast FSE10LT Edging, Flagstone
This product has a really attractive appearance imitating the look of natural flagstone. Even though it is not very flexible, it is really easy to be installed. Great for landscape borders. One of the features is that it is available in a range of colors, so it is up to you to pick one for your garden. The box includes 9ft. 4in Flagstones. The dimensions of one are 22 in width x ½ in depth x 6-1/2 in height. Because of soil movement, you may need to re-press down or straighten them once a year.
- Easy to be installed. No digging is required.
- Fully water-resistant.
- Really thick for lawn edging.
- It has a natural and unique design of a stone, only on the front though.
- Not flexible and it isn’t easy to manipulate.
- Each piece is quite short.
- Structurally not very durable.
- There aren’t any spikes going into the ground, meaning it doesn’t have any support to hold it.
5. Coyote Landscape Products Steel Edging with 15 Edge Pins
Its 8-foot long steel edging design makes it easy to ship and install. Mostly used around landscape beds, walkways, and gardens for lawn areas. Its rolled top provides safety when we unbox and start using it. With this RawEdge Home Kits, you have the freedom to create clean straight runs or be more innovative.
It is made out of recycled materials, steel, which is environmentally friendly. As time goes by, it may rust, but don’t worry, because it will give you the natural patina of raw uncoated steel. Each kit comes with 5 ea. 8’ pieces of edging and 15 uncoated edge pins.
- It isn’t plated or powder coated, giving a natural patina to develop.
- There is a rolled top for safe use.
- Flexible, so you can make curves with this product.
- There aren’t any instructions on how to be installed.
- Short pieces, meaning you can’t cut it into any length you need.
Trim Free Landscape Edging
||View On Amazon|
EverEdge Steel Lawn Edging
||View On Amazon|
Greenes Fence 18 in. Half Log Edging
||View On Amazon|
EverEdge Steel Lawn Edging
||View On Amazon|
Dimex EasyFlex Commercial Grade Aluminum Landscape Paver Edging Kit
||View On Amazon|
6. Trim Free Landscape Edging
This product has a unique design that can enhance the look of any lawn or garden. It has a trim free edging. This creates a surface that a lawnmower wheel can freely travel over, without damaging it. You can mow all the grass up to the side of the edging. What is more, each piece is easy to install. All you need is a hammer to tap in the included spikes or mallet to anchor the edging. This product is 10 feet tall and has the appearance of an upscale modern brick.
- No digging is required, saves you time and makes it easy to install.
- Because of the trim-free flange on the side of every edging piece, grass growth, closed to the edging piece, is prevented.
- Durable because its made with heavy-duty, premium polyethylene plastic.
- It can adjust up to 90 degrees in either direction, this lets you create the needed curve.
- There are not enough spikes provided.
7. EverEdge Steel Lawn Edging
EverEdge uses a 5’’ galvanized steel, protected with a powder coat. This prevents the risk of rusting or corroding over time. Another advantage is that this product is not only durable but also flexible. It allows you to have interesting edges for larger estates. Each pack contains 5 pieces 39” long.
The product is available in 3 powder coated colors or Cor-Ten finish. Finally, but no less important, this lawn edging comes with molded spikes, making it extremely easy to be installed, saving you time and effort. Having said all that, this product is worth checking it out!
- Extremely easy to install, due to the spikes at the bottom.
- Quite flexible, but you have to pre-form by bending them over a wooden edge.
- Providing strong structurally durable, made of galvanized steel. Preventing it from rusting or corroding over time.
- Less water-resistant than other products.
- Comes in a single length, which can be short for some gardens.
8. Greenes Fence 18 in. Half Log Edging
This wooden lawn edging comes in a variety of height and lengths. Giving you the freedom to arrange them according to your needs. This product comes with attached metal stakes for easier installation. This is really great if you want wood landscape edging.
They have a half-log design with a height of 5 and 7 in. Their cedar stain finish can make your garden look more natural. The Greenes Fence is also quite flexible. Because of its plastic backing, allowing you to arrange it in a straight line, curved or even circular border.
- Comes in a variety of lengths, makes it easier for you to fit them as needed.
- Really easy to place, due to their metal stakes. You can also quickly pull them up and reconfigure until they meet their needs.
- The plastic backing allows flexibility when you are installing it and you can shape them as you want.
- Not very water-resistant comparing other products.
- Not really stable, because it has only 2 spikes.
9. EverEdge Steel Lawn Edging
This lawn edge has a lot of advantages. One of them is that this product is really durable and easy to work with. It allows you to create interesting edges and lines for the wanted area. It is approximately 1.6 mm thick and comes in 5 different colors. Each pack consists 5 x 39” lengths – 16.25ft in total.
Another great feature is that this lawn edging comes with molded spikes, making it easy to install, with almost no effort. Its maintenance is free. This steel lawn edging may be on a slightly more expensive, than other ones, but because of its aluminum structure, it will serve you for at least 15 years.
- Really flexible, it has bends for creating corners and curves.
- Material- powder-coated galvanized steel, which protects from rust and corrosion over time.
- Easy to place, because of the spikes
- It is less water-resistant than other products
- Comes in only one length.
10. Dimex EasyFlex Commercial Grade Aluminum Landscape Paver Edging Kit
Commercial Grade Aluminum Landscape Paver Edging Kit is extremely easy to customize and install. This Kit provides you with all the material needed for your brick and paver design to be held in place. Due to its design, this aluminum edging is corrosion, rust and crack resistant.
Each kit includes 8 6-foot segments of an aluminum paver, 1.6 inches tall edgings, and 24 10 inches steel spiral anchoring spikes and a rubber mallet for a secure border. How do you install the product? Just place along with your brick or paver, cut the desired length, and hammer the spikes through the holes in the tabs. Then all you need to do is sit back and enjoy the look of your paver design.
- Waterproof and durable because it‘s made out of aluminum. This makes it resistant to corrosion, rust, and cracking.
- Has a simple installation, due to the design.
- Has short lawn edging.
- Not really flexible.
- Doesn’t have a connector to attach the ends together.
What Is Lawn Edging?
If you think you have finished after you’ve mowed, weeded and raked, you are wrong. A serious gardener takes care of all the details. There are at least a few DIY Backyard ideas that won’t break your bank that you can think of. If you don’t pay attention to the details, for instance, the edges, even if you’ve cropped your lawn it will look sloppy and unfinished. Even if the strip of grass along your walkways, driveway and around your flowerbeds is small, it is no less important than the large space of grass.
The garden mower you have in your garage isn’t going to help you much here. You need something that will deal with the delicate areas, such as around your mailbox, trees, sharp edges, and light poles. This job is done properly by a good lawn edger, which you need to learn how to use accordingly. Another option, if you are willing to spend some extra money on your garden, is to hire a professional landscaper to do the job, or just visit our other guides about garden supplies.
Lawn edging isn’t something hard or really expensive to do. However, when done right, it can give beautify your garden, add value to your property and provide you with a clean line for maintaining this look.
Types of Edging
We will go through the different types of lawn edging in a bit. However, keep in mind that whatever you decide on, you should have an easy time moving after you’ve placed the edging.
Placing landscape edging borders is a good way for you to define borders between spaces. It creates a barrier between your flower beds area, your grass or other areas of the landscape. It is important when selecting a material to do this job, for it to compliment your home and the surrounding landscape. This material can determine the overall style as either natural or simulated. Now we are going to look at exactly these two styles and their subtypes.
Natural Lawn Edgings
- These edging materials can blend in easily with most landscapes and are more ordinary in the way they look. There are a lot of creative lawn and garden edging ideas which you can use to make your garden look like a piece of heaven. Natural edgings can be created with things you can find on your own, so it’s safe to say this is a cheaper way. It includes materials such as plants, rocks, mulch, and wood.
- This is a well-known and used method of lawn edging. Here you can find ornamental grasses, ground covers, flowers, and little shrubs. If you are also interested in growing grass in your backyard, you should go through the article about the best grass seeds our team has made for you.
- A lot of people create walls for their flower beds, by using rocks, and you can pick them yourself. When you go for a walk in the forest, for example. Rocks or stone edging is popular in a lot of landscapes, because of its really natural look. It sounds out amongst all the plant and foliage and it gives a nice polished look. This is a type of edging that you can also use for lining the outside edges of pools or even better – garden ponds.
- Wooden lawn edging has different styles, depending if you want a natural, decorative or even a simulated look. A lot of people choose landscaping timber or railroad ties for edging their lawn. However, note that there are some downsides to this. If you use treated wood, it can affect the plants you have and some beneficial insects that help your garden. Despite that, a lot of people decide to use treated wood, because the untreated one deteriorates over time. That means that it will need replacing. Yet, do not forget it is more beneficial and safer to the environment if you choose untreated wood, and it will also enrich the soil. This material is hard to adjust to any curves you have on your edging. However, once you use it for edging, it will create a more natural appearance, with a softer feel, specifically in wooded surroundings.
- As we mentioned in the wood edging, landscape timbers are quite preferred. We already did mention their downside, but there is still information to give you. This type of edgings is easy to install and creates a natural frame around a flower bed. They have different shapes. They can be square-edged, almost oval in shape and have two wide flat sides and two narrow rounded sides. Others have rounded sides but are squarer in overall dimension, and some have square bottom edges and a rounded top.
- Mulch edging is achieved by stripping grass from the outer edges of areas, like walkways. Then fill in the spots with mulch. This type of lawn edging provides you with more flexibility if an existing area alters in shape or size after some time.
- This is the most used edging, which requires a shallow trench dug around the boundary of the bed. It can be really elegant if done neatly. Because they don’t need another material, they work well with any type of site, sloped or level, with any kind of landscaping around it.
Simulated Lawn Edgings
- This style of lawn edging includes materials such as metal, plastic, and brick, which need to be pre-formed. Because they are already prepared, you can pick if you want smooth or textured, dull or bright, and colored to blend or contrast with the surrounding landscape. Here are the different materials you can choose from.
- Brick and concrete lawn edging look more formal and sophisticated. You can create different patterns with them and they have several styles. Due to the nature of the materials, they are extremely resilient and don’t require much maintenance after putting them in your yard. However, because of this nature, you have to make sure that they are low enough, in order to prevent damage to your lawnmower. Brick edging is better for curves, while concrete is perfect for straight lawns.
If you already need a new mower, you can inform yourself about the best zero turn mowers for hill by reading our article.
- Plastic lawn edging, such as vinyl, is widely chosen and can be used as a fence. Just like the other simulated lawn edging it is more formal looking. It creates a clean and clear appearance. However, it is not that durable and can crack over time, especially when exposed to cold weather.
- Metal lawn edging uses materials, such as aluminum and steel, which are more adaptable to curves but are still solid for straight lines. Like the others, this type of material doesn‘t look natural in a garden but will last a long time. The flaw it has, though, is that it can rust over time. However, if you have a rustic landscape that will be ideal.
Best Landscape Edging Comparison Chart
|Master Mark Plastics 95340 Terrace Board Landscape Edging Coil||$||5 in x 40'||Plastic||8.9 pounds|
|Dalen Products E3-16B Gardeneer Edge Pound-In Garden and Landscape Edging||$$||18’||Strong and durable plastic||5 pounds|
|Dimex EdgePro Plastic Heavy Duty No-Dig Edging Kit||$$$||100 Feet||Recycled plastic||20.5 pounds|
|Suncast FSE10LT Edging, Flagstone||$||9 ft. 4 in.||Poly||3.2 pounds|
|Coyote Landscape Products 5 Piece Steel Home Kit Raw Steel Edging with 15 Edge Pins||$$$||8 ft.||Steel||23.4 pounds|
|Trim Free Landscape Edging||$$$||10 Feet||Polyethylene||4.15 pounds|
|EverEdge Steel Lawn Edging||$$$$||5"||Galvanized mild steel||18.2 pounds|
|Greenes Fence 18 in. Half Log Edging||$$$||18 in.||Metal (Stakes)||2 pounds|
|EverEdge Steel Lawn Edging 5"||$$$$$||5"||Galvanized mild steel||17.75 pounds|
|Dimex EasyFlex Commercial Grade Aluminum Landscape Paver Edging Kit||$$$$||48 ft.||Commercial Grade Aluminum||2.6 pounds|
Our picks on landscape edging reviews and the different types of them have come to an end. Now you have the needed information to decide how to decorate your piece of heaven. If you think we did a good job, share our guide with everybody you know and it may be helpful.
Do not hesitate to leave us a comment or send us an email, if you think we forgot to cover anything important. We appreciate any feedback from our readers and we love answering your questions.
When it comes to gardening there are a lot of things we can interest you in, so make sure to check some of our other articles. We hope that this buying guide of the best landscape edgings will be of great help to you and you enjoyed reading it. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!