- Our Top Fertilizer Spreader Favorites
- 1. Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
- 2. Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
- 3. Agri-Fab Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 4. Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Bag Spreader/Seeder
- 5. Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
- 6. Earthway Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 7. Brinly Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 8. Field Tuff AS-80ATV12 Receiver Mount Spreader
- Why Do You Need A Fertilizer Spreader In The First Place?
- Fertilizer Spreaders – Everything You Need To Know
- Broadcast And Drop Spreaders – Is There A Difference?
- What Makes A Good Spreader After All?
- Best Fertilizer Spreader Comparison Chart
- Using Fertilizer Spreader The Right Way
- Wrapping up
Did you know that the first fertilizer spreader was actually a wagon filled with animal manure, equipped with a beater attached at the back? It must have been a tough job to work on the ground for sure. Fortunately, these days are gone and all you have to do now to take care of your green area is to simply buy a fertilizer spreader from the nearby store.
But picking the best fertilizer spreader device among a sea of options is not that simple, providing that there are so many models all loaded with different features and intended for purposes like chalk and cheese. Luckily for you, our team is ready to offer you an extensive guide with such items on the market.
Moreover, we will put forward some of the most wanted fertilizer spreaders along with their practical applications. Also, our team will give you invaluable suggestions on what to look for when buying, different types of fertilizers and how to keep them in good condition.
Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
||View On Amazon|
Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
||View On Amazon|
Agri-Fab Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
||View On Amazon|
Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Bag Spreader/Seeder
||View On Amazon|
Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
||View On Amazon|
Earthway Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader
||View On Amazon|
Brinly Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
||View On Amazon|
Field Tuff AS-80ATV12 Receiver Mount Spreader
||View On Amazon|
Our Top Fertilizer Spreader Favorites
We will start off with our top picks of equipment used in fertilizer application that you want to see. Also, there’s a convenient “pros & cons” section after each product to wrap up key information.
1. Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
If you are looking for an inexpensive, maneuverable and lightweight helper in your garden, then Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader might be your top purchase.
It comes with a large capacity hopper that can hold up to 10 000 square feet lawn production. Also, it is perfect for granular products like grass seeds, fertilizers and all types of pellet brands providing that their maximum size is 1/8 inches.
The broadcast seeder is very compact and doesn’t need much space to be stored. In addition, this unit skips over easily dents and holes in your lawns, and therefore you get your garden duties done in a quicker and more thorough way.
- Comes pre-calibrated and fully-assembled
- Heavy-duty frame
- 22-inch spread pattern
- Foldable handle
- Not suitable for spreading de-icer, soil, and manure
- Spreads unevenly across the width
2. Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
The Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader is ideal for those of you who have small gardens and yards to work on. It is not only the compact size of this unit that makes it so practical but also the fact that you do not have to walk behind big fertilizer sprayers on your small-scale land. With its weight of only 2.1 pounds, this product is ideal for narrow spaces and any areas that can be reached on foot.
Moreover, this hand-held sprayer has multi-purpose spreading potential –from spreading clover seeds to products with larger sizes. All you have to do is take a walk at a steady pace of 4 feet per second around the perimeter of your land. This unit has a unique Edge Guard technology which, when turned on, prevents the spreading product from falling into non-lawn areas.
- Holds up to 2500 square feet of spreading products
- 23 settings for accuracy
- can be used with ice melt products in winter months
- battery –powered
- not suitable for highly powdered or sticky substances
- not enough slope inside the material compartment to allow seeds flow easily
3. Agri-Fab Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
With this Agri- 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader you will be able to do your garden job in no time. This agricultural machinery is manufactured in the USA and comes with a 3-year Limited Warranty.
The product’s tub and spreader disk are made of thick plastic even for rock salt spread. The broadcaster seeder is also very stable due to the fact that the tub sits lower and is perpendicular with the axle, not parallel over the wheels.
As for its potential on your field, you can rely on it since it works with any seeds or fertilizers. Moreover, bear in mind that this product’s prime function is to be attached to lawn tractors or lawn mowers.
- 130 lb. capacity covers about 25,000 square feet
- Aluminum beveled gear
- Rustproof poly hopper and spreader plate
- Large pneumatic tires
- Takes time to be assembled
- On/ off control is not easily reachable from your tractor’s seat
4. Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Bag Spreader/Seeder
What if you can carry your seeds in a bag and fertilize at the same time without much of an effort? Our next top pick has it all – a compact size bag with a zip on top and plastic inserts to hold it upright when full of granular products. There is a strap as well that goes over your shoulder in such a way that the bag hangs to the side in a convenient way to crank the spreader.
Also, the Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Bag Spreader/Seeder is very light with a weight of just 2.75 pounds when empty. And this makes it a great choice for those of you who do not have much storage space in the garage. Moreover, with the bag spreader, you can possibly work on narrow-scale spaces.
- Suitable for spreading all types of seed including corn and soybeans
- Oscillating shut-off plate stops clumping for better in flow control.
- The high-rpm gearbox provides a smooth edge broadcast
- Holds up to 25 pounds of seed
- Shoulder strap needs pads
- Not to be used for salt and calcium
5. Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
Here is another Scotts product, but this time intended for even smaller yards and gardens. The Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader is extremely compact and lightweight with dimensions of 10 x 7.8 x 8.4 inches and weight of 1.71 pounds. It has an ergonomic design to reduce the risk of hand fatigue.
Having mentioned the products convenient size, we should not forget to tell you about the spreader’s pragmatic application. This unit can not only broadcast any types of grainy pellets and bird seeds but also be found useful in other areas outside the range of gardening, like cupcake decorating, thanks to its uniform coverage.
- Comes fully assembled
- Great for applying seed, ice melt or other granular products on small areas
- Holds up to 1,000 sq. ft of lawn products
- Both hands are occupied while using it
- Not suitable for left-handers
6. Earthway Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader
This is a very popular spreader from Earthway and it is also manufactured in the USA. Its size is 15.8 x 14.5 x 23.6 inches and it is well-built and solid. Moreover, its dimensions signify that you can store it anywhere since it is very compact. The lever is T-speed which means that even taller people will find comfort in using it.
The Earthway 2150 Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader is easy to roll as well, even on hills, slopes, and flat areas thanks to the 13-inch pneumatic tires on rust-proof poly rims. Furthermore, the large bucket capacity of 50lb will guarantee you fewer refills and therefore, less work with a very large yard.
- EV-N-SPRED 3-hole drop shut-off system
- 175lb load bearing capacity
- Heavy-duty Epoxy Powder Coated “Diamond” chassis
- Debris screen to keep clumps from clogging the shut-off system
- 2-position height adjustable handle
- No edge guard
- Poor instructions for assembling the item
7. Brinly Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
Another top product for large yards and lawns is the Brinly BS36BH Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader. With its 175-pound capacity poly hopper, this spreader can cover even more than 1 acre of open areas. Also, its multi-purpose use makes it perfect for all-year-round applications – from seeds to ice melt agents because of its directional spread pattern. You can easily adjust the spread direction left, right or centered as well.
As the item’s materials are concerned, you can be sure that you’ll get a long-time running machine, because the parts subjected to corrosion from fertilizers are made of plastic. And we think that this explains why the product is cheap at the price.
- Even spread patterns and the widest spread widths of materials
- Fully enclosed gearbox and stainless steel hardware
- 2-year warranty
- Tow-behind hitch fits most lawn tractors
- Great for ice melt products
- Not designed to spread soil
- The handle for opening/closing the hopper gate is situated too far back
8. Field Tuff AS-80ATV12 Receiver Mount Spreader
Here is a spreader you won’t need to push, pull or carry around your shoulder. The Field Tuff AS-80ATV12 Receiver Mount Spreader is a great tool for any homeowner who has a lawn mower or tractor. This unit is easily mounted on the front or at the back of your garden vehicle via 1 ¼ inch or 2 inches receiver hitch, depending on your preferences. But either way, you will get a uniform spread.
In addition, the motor has a rated speed of 570rpm and is sealed for protection. Therefore, you can be sure that this heavy-duty and durable unit will use its maximum capacity of 80 lbs.
Finally, this mount spreader comes with a rain cover for extra convenience and functionality.
- 12-Volt ATV Hitch-Mount Spreader
- Holds up to 8 gallons of grass seed, fertilizer, or small grain
- 12’ broadcast width
- 1-year limited Manufacturer’s warranty
- It comes partially assembled
- 4-foot cable is too short for UTVs
Why Do You Need A Fertilizer Spreader In The First Place?
A fertilizer spreader is a helpful device used for spreading different types of granular products – from seeds to ice melt. Without the implementation of this unit, the fertile land you have would be hard to be worked on, you may even risk uneven feeding and weed as well as uncontrolled diseases or insects. That is why the broadcast spreader is so convenient and practical tool for every homeowner.
Fertilizer Spreaders – Everything You Need To Know
As a rule, no matter what the machinery is, it all comes to multi-purpose units. The same goes to seeders – it is not only the wide range of shapes that are offered on the market but also the way they work and spread land products. In this section, we will give you all the information you need to pick a fertilizer that matches your needs.
There are different types of equipment used to apply fertilizer and here are the main stripes.
1. Rotary spreaders
This unit is an effective tool in turf and ornamental management. It is because the rotary spreader is a lot lower to the ground and hence covers a lot more ground in a short amount of time because of the wider area of spread.
Rotary spreaders spread out over a wide band. Moreover, the width of this band can be changed. When you buy fertilizers or seeds, remember to read the instructions since there is a different setting on the bags to help you use the right setting on the spreader.
Also, it is important to mention the fact that rotary spreaders are top of the line when you work next to streets or roads. When this machinery required for fertilizer application methods is on and spreads your chosen product, you will not worry about it getting into your flower bed, for example.
What is more, the total of fertilizer is determined by the speed you use to walk while spreading. And if you have a very long stride and walk very fast, you will not put as much granular product down as needed.
2. Handheld fertilizer spreader
If you have a small area then this device is the tool that you are going to use on a regular basis. The handheld type broadcast spreaders are the smallest. They consist of a large bowl in which you pour the seeds and a little release in the middle where the product will spray out through the hole. Also, there is a setting where you can adjust the amount of product you want to be released, then you put your arm through and finally, grasp it with a trigger grip.
This type of spreading fertilizer with a hand spreader is very lightweight, usually around 5 pounds, so that your arm doesn’t get tired while holding it. It is perfect for little projects like grass seeds out in the fall or if you are putting fertilizer over and you just want a just a thin layer of it. Also, you should definitely check out our grass seed reviews for extensive information about organic base materials.
You may come across two types of hand spreaders on the market –manually-operated and battery-operated.
- Hand-operated handheld spreaders have a handle with a hopper of several liters and works via hand cranking. You simply spin the handle and spread the seeds. This device has an adjustment for settings. The biggest advantage here is that you can control the speed of spreading depending on how fast you spin the handle. However, you may experience hand fatigue.
- Battery-operated handheld spreaders are also equipped with settings for different types of granular products. This unit is even easier to be used because you don’t have to crank it – just press the on button and it starts spreading. Nevertheless, you may find it hard to upkeep since more things can go wrong when there are devices that produce the electricity to make it work. Such problems can be batteries go bad or fail while working with the item, or rust. Overall, battery-operated handheld spreaders require more maintenance.
3. Drop Fertilizer Spreader
This unit is characterized by the fact that you can control where the fertilizer goes more precisely because it is dropping all the material very close to the ground. Also, drop spreader for sale is a great helper when you need to weed and feed.
With the drop spreader, the fertilizer falls out just between the wheel tracks. It has a fixed width and it cannot be changed. It goes from edge to edge, so you stroll the fertilizer over and you come back and apply that fertilizer back to the edge. Keep in mind that you should turn the fertilizer spreading setting way down low, so you get a pattern of wheel track to wheel track.
In addition, the amount of granular product you use to cover your area depends on how fast you walk. Therefore, the faster you go, the more fertilizer you spread.
4. Liquid Fertilizer Spreader
Fertilizer application does not only come down to granular products, but also liquid ones. This type of machinery is used for chemical feeding via a hose attached to the sprayer. The pipe then moves the liquid from the container of the spreader and blends it to a fluid extract. What is more, this kind of fertilizer usage is considered the perfect option for covering your acreage with this liquid substance.
In order to use it the right way, you should calculate how much fertilizer you need. Bear in mind that there are two types of products that can be added to your soil to make plants grow more successfully – one in the shape of liquid and another in a solid form, which will eventually be mixed with water. Then, you put the liquid fertilizer into the fertilizer sprayer for a garden hose, turn the water on and feed your land while watering.
Although it is uncomplicated to use this system of fertilizing for your container plants, we do not recommend using this method for making your lawns more fertile. The reason for this is that you won’t manage to spread the fertilizer evenly on your ground. Moreover, you will need time to consider the exact quantity of chemicals for your grass to grow and stay green. On top of that, you might find it difficult to get the right fertilizer rates mixed accurately. Not to mention that liquid fertilizer really pushes you to carefully consider your equipment.
If you have issues with applying fertilizer to your lawn and keep it evergreen, you can always look at our top picks and thorough guide for best artificial grass.
Broadcast And Drop Spreaders – Is There A Difference?
So far we have discussed the most common types of fertilizers. We have also briefly described rotary and drop spreaders. However, there is more to be said about this machinery required for fertilizer application methods. And that is to say, you really need to know the main operation techniques and where you will find them most useful.
Here is everything you need to know about drop spreaders.
- They are the top pick for homeowners that have flower beds around the house, water features or walkways. This is because this type of spreader basically drops the granular product on the ground. Also, its defined edge of positioning the fertilizer makes it perfect for the purposes described above.
- Another important thing to consider is the weight of this garden machinery. Usually, drop spreaders are a lot heavier and you will have to spend much time and energy into pushing this device.
- If your garden work requires precision in detail, then this unit will do the job. It is because its mechanism allows the granular product to cover evenly the ground. In addition, the defined edge helps to lay down a uniform amount of material which is always the exact width of the spread pattern.
- Perfect for grass less than 2 inches due to its lower spreading mechanism.
Broadcast spreaders are the alternative to drop spreaders. However, walk behind broadcast spreaders have a different spreading mechanism and individual application methods.
- To start off, this unit has a spreading mechanism which means that the rotary spreader placement is not uniform. Hence, you will need a lot more effort to cover evenly and precisely your fertilized land.
- The next application of this product is an advantage to those of you with a large swath of lawn or soil area. The centrifugal fertilizer spreader is the top option for this purpose since you will finish your job with less effort and time.
- With it, you can opt for a lighter spreader, easy to push and work within your open space area.
- Rotary spreaders drop a thick line of a granular product down the central strip. This way it is narrowed to the furthest edge of the reach of the spreader.
- If there is tall grass or plants in your land, then broadcast spreaders are ideal for working on such terrain. The reason for this is the greater ground clearance.
As well as their functions and usages, broadcast seeders come in different designs and shapes.
- The smallest are handheld spreaders which use a broadcasting mechanism to spread seeds and other granular products. They are ideal for small gardens and yards. And won’t take up much space in your garage as well.
- There are also push units with a spinning disk which is powered by the movement of the wheels. With this type of fertilizer, you can be sure that your big lawn is thoroughly protected or seeded.
- Next is the tow behind broadcast spreaders, which are bigger than the previous two mentioned, but have larger capacity tanks. These units are specially designed to be attached to your ATV or garden tractor as a broadcast spreader tow behind and hence for areas of considerable size. In addition, you will have to predict larger storage space in your tool shed.
- Also, there are other large capacity spreaders that don’t need to be towed behind your garden vehicle. They are designed to be mounted either at the front or at the back of your tractor. These products are great for landscape or small property maintenance.
What Makes A Good Spreader After All?
Before heading to the store and buying implements used for fertilizer equipment, there are a few things to consider. It is not just about brands or appearance; it is a lot more than that. Moreover, picking such unit depends on several key factors that are not generally applicable to every homeowner. Hence, spending money on such items would be a piece of cake, especially when having our list of useful advice to follow.
- Determine the type of area and the total amount of acreage you are going to fertilize. This is important because of the different kinds of spraying machinery.
- Think about the granular product you are going to apply. Some fertilizer spreaders are not appropriate for ice melt, for example.
- Give thought to your storage area. Large capacity fertilizer tanks require more space than handheld sprayers, for example.
- Do not forget to consider how you are going to maintain it, for instance, if it is easy to buy spare parts or to clean your item.
Last, but not least, do not hesitate to check out our exclusive gardening equipment, fertilizers and extensive guides for more information, advice and help on your gardening projects.
Best Fertilizer Spreader Comparison Chart
|Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader||$$||18 x 32 x 47||12.6 pounds||up to 10,500 sq. ft.||22-inch spread pattern / Foldable handle|
|Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader||$||23.2 x 7.8 x 19.2||2.4 pounds||up to 2.500 sq. ft.||23 settings / Battery –powered|
|Agri-Fab Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader||$$$||18.1 x 10.7 x 12.4||29.4 pounds||25.000 sq. ft.||Aluminum beveled gear / Rustproof poly hopper and spreader plate|
|Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Bag Spreader/Seeder||$$||14 x 8.5 x 13||2.75 pounds||25 pounds of seed||Oscillating shut-off plate / High-rpm gearbox|
|Scotts Easy Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader||$||10 x 7.8 x 8.4||1.71 pounds||up to 1,000 sq. ft||Rustproof / Fully assembled|
|Earthway Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader||$$$$$||15.8 x 14.5 x 23.6||27 pounds||175 pound||EV-N-SPRED 3-hole drop shut-off system / Epoxy Powder Coated "Diamond" chassis
|Brinly Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader||$$$$||30 x 22 x 26||47 pounds||175 pound||Fully enclosed gearbox / Stainless steel hardware|
|Field Tuff AS-80ATV12 Receiver Mount Spreader||$$$||24.8 x 14.6 x 16.7||40 pounds||up to 8 gallons||570rpm speed / 12’ broadcast|
Using Fertilizer Spreader The Right Way
Maintaining and keeping your fertilizer spreader in a good condition is an important factor for its long-term application. However, there are a few things to remember when taking good care of your product.
- Lime pellets, fertilizers for moss and the like can really gum up the works. So make sure you always clean the spreader after use. First, spray water inside the hopper to clean it. Then rinse all granules out of the hopper and away from the shutoff opening. And after that, allow the spreader to dry in the sun before storing.
- If you own a tow behind or walk behind spreader, make sure you check the pressure of the tires. This is important because thanks to them the spread will be stable and your fertilizer will move evenly.
- Check whether all linkage points stay nice and grease as well as free from corrosion and rust.
- You may consider spraying a fluid film on metal parts. This way, you will get the hard solid substance clear of and lubricated.
It is time to put an end to our extensive guide. Our team has spared no effort and energy into compiling all these essential pieces of information and advice in order to give you the best fertilizer spreader tips and up-to-date details. We hope that our guide will help you buy the most appropriate unit in accordance with your needs.
As always, we are open to your feedback and would appreciate any comment left by you. If you liked the article, show it to your friends or share it online. Let us know if anything can be changed or improved. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!