- Our Perfect Artificial Grass Selection
- Why Do You Need Artificial Grass Before Anything Else
- What Is Artificial Grass
- Upsides Of Artificial Grass Lawns
- Picking Out The Right Fake Grass
- Artificial Grass Drainage
- Keeping Your Artificial Grass in Good Condition
- Best Artificial Grass Comparison Chart
- Wrap Up
Were you aware of the fact that artificial grass is often produced in carpet factories? This is because fake grass manufacture system is very similar in terms of stitching and threading. And having a soft green carpet to step on in your backyard is a convenience like no other.
There are so many options to achieve this beauty in outdoor areas like using real grass, water it, trim it and fertilize it. But this will not guarantee the all year round green color and exquisite appearance in your garden. It is much easier and less time-consuming to choose the best artificial grass.
We did a thorough research on the market and selected the finest products for you to pick up in our reviews. In addition, our team carefully created this detailed guide of everything that you should know about the best fake grass – from choosing it to installing and maintaining it. And since you are here, all you need to do is scroll down and check out what we have singled out for you.
- Zen Garden Premium Artificial Grass Patch
- PRICE $
- Size: 40" x 24"
- Blade Color : 4 Tone
- Height : 1.6"
- Made : Weather resistant yarns that are both UV proof and frost proof
- LITA Realistic Deluxe Artificial Grass
- PRICE $$$
- Size: 7'x 13'
- Blade Color : 4 Tone
- Height : 1 3/8”
- Made : UV resistant polyethylene and poly polypropylene yarn,
- ALTRUISTIC Premium Artificial Grass
- PRICE $$$$$
- Size: 13 ft x 25 ft
- Blade Color : 4 Tone
- Height : 1 3/8”
- Made : UV resistant polyethylene and poly polypropylene yarn,
- Synturfmats Artificial Grass Carpert Rug
- PRICE $
- Size: 2'x 3'
- Blade Color : 7 Tone
- Height : 1”
- Made : Eco-friendly , UV Protection Material
- GOLDEN MOON Realistic Artificial Grass Mat
- PRICE $$
- Size: 3'x 13'
- Blade Color : 5 Tone
- Height : 0.98”
- Made : High quality anti-aging particle with masterbatch
- PZG Premium Artificial Grass Patch
- PRICE $$$$
- Size: 13.2ft x 6.5ft
- Blade Color : 4 Tone
- Height : 1.6”
- Made : Latex, Plastic, Rubber
Our Perfect Artificial Grass Selection
We will start off with some top picks which we found really practical and deserving your attention.
1. Zen Garden Premium Artificial Grass Patch
This product is a little bit expensive, but a promising purchase for all pet owners. It is lead and toxin free and its weight of 70 oz makes it the perfect pet safe grass. What is more, it comes with a rubber backing to keep it in place, so you won’t need to staple or nail it. Also, this unit is manufactured to withstand pets’ pee without degrading thanks to its drainage holes. The PZG Premium Artificial Grass Patch has a 4-tone hue color, 1.7-inch grass blades and a very natural looking touch, which will give a fantastic look to your indoor or outdoor spaces. It can be installed everywhere-from concrete, wood, and plastic patios to even directly on dirt. However, when placing it on soil, you need to consider installing it over 3-4-inch of gravel or drainage. And also, you may experience some odor issues as pets’ uric acids crystals cannot be rinsed off from the synthetic fibers of this artificial grass.
- Endures pet’s urine
- Decent length grass blades
- Can be laid on anything
- Slightly more expensive
- Will have odor
2. LITA Realistic Deluxe Artificial Grass
The LITA Realistic Deluxe Artificial Grass comes in different sizes varying from 3.3 square feet to 91 square feet, making it perfect to fit any outdoor or indoor space in your property. This unit has a total weight of 70 oz and is offered in a 4-tone pattern to match your preferences and needs. The installation is simple –just roll it up and it is ready to be used. What is more, if you want to put it directly onto cement, you will have no difficulties into doing it since you don’t have to glue it. The best thing is that this artificial grass comes with a 10-year warranty and the manufacturer offers 30 days return policy. Besides all these advantages, let us warn you that if the weather is too hot, you may notice how your grass starts melting under the scorching sun. And even if this is not the case, just be careful when stepping bare feet on the grass on warm summer days.
- A variety of sizes
- Easy to install, no need to be glued
- 10-year warranty
- Can’t endure the heat
3. ALTRUISTIC Premium Artificial Grass
Another good pick on the market is the ALTRUISTIC Premium Artificial Grass. It is UV and frost resistant and it is an excellent purchase for your indoor or outdoor projects. This unit is made of non-abrasive and non-absorbent fiber which is a bargain for those of you owning pets. This is due to the fact that this artificial grass has a polyurethane athletic grade and it is perforated with holes for vertical drainage. The installation is also very easy since you don’t have to buy anything extra, like mats, to go under the turf. Despite all being said, smooth surfaces are not appropriate to lay the grass on it because this unit is a little bit lightweight and can be easily kicked up or wrinkled by running dogs, for example. And it might be disappointing for some of you, but it is a fact – the color is not as realistic as we wished it would have been.
- Frost and UV resistant
- Fiber doesn’t absorb stuff
- High-class polyurethane
- Shouldn’t be installed on smooth surfaces
- Color not so realistic
4. Synturfmats Artificial Grass Carpert Rug
If you struggle to find a really realistic looking artificial grass, we think this product might be is just for you. The Synturfmats Artificial Grass Carpert Rug comes with 7-tone blades; it is non-toxic and it has protection against weather wear, tear or fading in the sun. This product has a realistic look when placed outdoors and it is suitable for using it everywhere – from the patio and your gardens’ yards to decorating your house and creating a cozy pet dog area. Cleaning it doesn’t seem to be much of a trouble since this unit is rubber backed and has drainage holes. Furthermore, you could simply brush it or use a non-metal rake for sweeping little debris. However, when installing this unit, you may need to tack the edges to hold it on the ground and not to curl up. And what is more, since the pieces of this unit weren’t cut and measured by machines, the dimensions may vary.
- Very realistic looking
- Simple to clean
- Installation is tricky
5. GOLDEN MOON Realistic Artificial Grass Mat
Finding a durable and strongly made piece of artificial grass is usually a tough job, but with GOLDEN MOON Realistic Artificial Grass Mat you will surely get what you need. This product has some advantages that have to be mentioned, like the fact that it is fire resistant, fadeless and mould proof. Also, it is non-slip thanks to its rubber back. But we can assure you that you will have no problems to cut it to fit your needs. This artificial grass comes with 0.98-inch blade height and it is heavier compared to other products of the same type. Also, it comes with a 5-color woven and detailed instruction from the manufacturer to keep it in a good shape if blades have flattened. However, some may find the price rather high for artificial grass. And as pet owners are concerned, this unit will not guarantee an odorless artificial grass mat, no matter how often you clean it.
- Durable, fadeless
- Non-slip material
- Comes with detailed instructions
- Will have odor
6. PZG Premium Artificial Grass Patch
Our last top pick product is PZG Premium Artificial Grass Patch. With its bigger size, it is especially convenient for large outdoor areas. This unit also weighs more than 70 oz which makes it a labor-saving option because you won’t have to search for ways to keep it steady on your chosen surface. The artifact is made of plastic, rubber, and latex and it is non-toxic as well. The grass blades come in 4 different colors with a length of 1.7 inches, which will spruce up the look of your yard. Moreover, this product has practical drainage holes for easy maintenance and it is fire resistant. Lastly, there is a 10-year warranty to secure your purchase. Nevertheless, if you have pets at home, take into account the fact that very often this product has a strong plastic smell which can push your domestic animals away. Additionally, this fake grass may not be as soft and fluffy.
- Decent size
- Remains steady
- Non-toxic materials
- Plastic smell
- Not as soft
Why Do You Need Artificial Grass Before Anything Else
Creating a nature-like environment in your home space brings more calmness and joy to look at. This is the reason why many people try planting grass seeds in their backyards and hoping to recreate a natural world. Others, on the other hand, want a safe place near their properties to let their pets walk and run freely but worry about torn grass, mud or puddles. Hence, artificial turf might be a solution to everyone. It is easy to be installed and does not require so much maintenance compared to natural grass. Also, it resembles perfectly the authentic green lawns you all strive for.
And if you still want to try your luck on natural grass, check our grass seed reviews. Our team has an extensive list of options to offer you.
What Is Artificial Grass
Artificial grass is a horizontal surface of synthetic blades that look like natural grass. Nowadays we use it on residential lawns and commercial applications as well. Fake lawns come in different types.
- Landscape turf is mainly used for residential purposes like playgrounds, gardens, balconies and roof terraces. The yarn has individual filaments and the blades vary between 1.5 and 2.5 inches in height. Also, there is additional fiber called thatch which can come in different colors, like brown for example, to imitate the color of natural grass.
- Dual yarn system artificial grass is typically intended for sports playgrounds. The surface isn’t that appealing but it is extremely durable and wears overtime on a sports field. It is produced by monofilament yarn which has a lot of fiber and functional backing.
- Pet-friendly artificial lawn is characterized by shorter grass for easy maintenance. Usually, the pets` type is produced from polypropylene slip material and it is preferred by pet parents because of its function and cost.
Upsides Of Artificial Grass Lawns
In the past artificial grass tended to be pointy, prickly, with a plastic look and treated with chemicals. And this made it not suitable for most people. Luckily, there is no trace of that unfavorable past these days, so our team will list some of this product`s main values:
- Artificial grass carpet is made for the sole purpose to have a lush mown without sacrificing your time. If this product is installed correctly, then the maintenance is minimal and all you have to do is enjoy it.
- Another thing is that artificial grass on dirt doesn’t need mowing and it will look exactly as it has been laid on the soil. What is more, to keep it in a good condition, all you have to do is sweep it occasionally when you have a leaf drop, for example. You should definitely check out our expert advice on best brush cutter blade for more practical maintenance tips.
- You will bring your sophisticated garden tools and pesticides back in the shed once buying this unit because you won’t need them anymore.
- If there are people in your family with grass allergies, then quality artificial turf might be the solution. This product will minimize the risk of health deterioration since it is non-toxic and therefore safe.
- Most fake grass manufacturers give a 10-year guarantee so you will get the pleasure to look at your evergreen lawn for a long time.
- It is suitable for all kinds of applications – playgrounds, pitches, roofs, balconies, terraces, swimming pool areas, pet dog areas and many more. Also, you are not restricted to plain outdoor use; there are plenty of options for indoor decoration as well.
- The artificial grass cost is not considered a benefit by many people, but if you calculate the total price you have to pay in order to maintain natural grass, you will come to the conclusion that buying gardening grass replica will get your money`s worth in a few years time.
- When you have your product installed, you will see that all things that thrive under the backing like weeds, insects and worms stay underneath it.
Now that we have thoroughly discussed the most important advantages of owning grass replicas, it is time to move on and get ready for bargains.
Picking Out The Right Fake Grass
In this section, we will give some practical and useful suggestions on what to look for before spending money on artificial grass. We will examine the product`s main features, components and reflect on practical savvy.
Fibers are the artificial threads used for manufacturing fake grass. These threads determine the quality of your man-made product. And there are some important facts to consider.
Fibers are made from resin and the better the class of the resin, the more you can expect from your artificial turf. When this artificial substance is of low-quality, then the fibers will be prone to melting, fading or both.
2. Pile And Height
Pile stands for the short threads that form the soft surface of fake grass. Hence, it is inextricably bound up with the quality and application of artificial grass carpet. Depending on the target area for the artificial grass, you should choose a pile with the right length to suit your needs. There is no general rule, but keep in mind that blades below 0.98 inches can erode faster. Also, if they are higher than 1.77 inches, your green fake lawn may glisten and look like plastic.
Another thing is its application. We recommend pile between 1.5 -2 inches if you are going to use it on playgrounds, pitches or terrains that are frequently used by many people because it is more durable and can take the heavy traffic. In case you have a balcony or a roof terrace, then the perfect pile height should be shorter, for example around 1.5 inches. Lastly, mentioning pet owners is a must since most of them are looking for excellent top tennis grass for their loved animals. If this is the case, then we suggest that the pile blades are not taller than 1.3 inches.
Another thing that can affect the nature of fibers is their width. When the artificial thread is of high quality, then you won’t be able to see through it if you hold it up to a lamp for example. Also, wide fibers are more durable, stronger and are made to imitate the sturdiness of natural grass. Moreover, wide man-made grass blades are much closer to natural grass than thinner ones.
4. Fiber Count
Synthetic blades density makes up the whole look of your artificial grass carpet. This means that when they are stitched very close next to each other, you will get better quality because the product will last longer and mimic natural grass.
You might find this extremely convenient, especially if you want to lay artificial grass in your backyard for your children or pets to play. This type of high-density fake grass is very suitable for such high-traffic areas purposes.
5. Types of Grass Blades
Grass blades are generally 2 types- straight and curly. The quality of the product depends on the type or types of blades used, as well as the price.
- Curly blades are usually used in inexpensive types of fake grass. This is because the resemblance to natural grass is minimal and also the blades are always curled and hence lay flat no matter what you do. These units come with very short blades and are a great deal for unfussy buyers.
- Straight blades mimic natural grass more as it might be expected. They are longer than the other type and artificial grass stand up to a lot of wear and tear. Also, this kind of product comes in higher prices due to its durability and realistic look.
6. Synthetic Infill
Another important key factor to think upon is the artificial thatch. It is used for keeping the grass blades in a straight position and also for that soft feel you have when your feet step on the fake grass.
When buying gardening grass replicas you will notice that some products do not come with thatch. If this is the case, you will need to buy a granular substance, like sand or rubber pellets, and distribute it evenly around your fake grass carpet with a rake in order to keep the blades upright. In addition, this way you will soften your green synthetic surface.
Many artificial grass lawns on the market are sold with built-in thatch, which means that you won’t have to buy anything extra. The thatch is usually in a different color from the blades; its threads are curly-shaped and much shorter than the fake grass blades to create a more realistic look of natural grass.
What is more, the colored yarn has a memory function and this way supports the straight fibers in a vertical position. And on top of that, such a lawn with two layers will guarantee you longer life and durability of the product.
7. Fibers Color
Green comes in many shades, even in nature. Therefore artificial grass producers have come up to the idea to create as many green shades as possible in order to mimic natural grass. This is the reason why quality artificial turf is sold in tones can reach up to 7 shades of green from olive green, forest green to emerald green. And it is up to you to decide which eye-catching color will make your garden a noticeable and attractive place.
8. Fiber Material
The plastic mesh which synthetic fibers are made of also come from various materials. The most common ones you will come across when you want to invest in such product are polypropylene (PP), polyethylene (PE) and nylon (PA). However, there are numerous ways to accomplish the manufacturing process of artificial turf.
- Polypropylene (PP) is a reasonably priced material for artificial grass. The fibers made of PP are UV resistant, chemical resistant and moreover, they are impervious to molds and fungus. Also, polypropylene grass carpet is water-resistant which means that damp weather conditions cannot damage the product. However, this material has no good strength in terms of durability and has poor abrasion as well. In addition, high temperatures may result in melting the synthetic fibers made from this chemical substance. Usually, polypropylene is used for the thatched yarns.
- Polyethylene (PE) is the first ever used material for manufacturing artificial grass. The fibers made from it are soft and elastic. The rule here is the less density, the more supple artificial grass you will get. Nevertheless, this material has a low melting point and it is not as strong as we would wish. Heavy objects, like garden furniture, may permanently damage the polyethylene fibers and therefore, you will be left with flat-looking grass.
- Nylon (PA) is a great investment if you can afford it. Fibers produced from this material have the strength of polypropylene and the softness of polyethylene. In addition, nylon fibers recover if you place a large object on them, so practically you cannot expect flat spots on your fake turf patches. This quality makes the material very recommended for areas with lots of foot traffic. Moreover, its melting point is high which makes it perfect for hot weather conditions.
Artificial Grass Drainage
Most of you may have asked themselves about what happens to synthetic grass when there are torrential rains. Others have doubted the usefulness of fake grass when living with pets. The answer to these questions is the drainage system of quality grass replicas.
The backing of artificial turf is perforated with holes that allow liquid to go through them and this way prevents fake grass from holding liquids. A key factor for drainage is the area on which artificial grass is installed. You need to consider whether you are going to install it directly on concrete or soil, to make sure you get the ultimate water flow.
- If you have a garden for this purpose and the ground is not concrete, river sand will be the most suitable gravel to place before laying artificial grass on soil.
- When your target area is made of cement, then you should cover it with 3-4 inches of gravel for optimal drainage.
Keeping Your Artificial Grass in Good Condition
The last step of enjoying a long-lasting fake lawn is to get our top expert tips on maintenance. Similar to all other great garden tools and supplies which we have reviewed for you on our website, conservation is important here as well. Here we have some practical and useful advice to help you with your fake grass carpet.
- Make sure the installation is done according to the manufacturer’s instruction.
- Regularly remove leaves or debris using a leaf blower, a stiff brush or a plastic rake. If fallen leaves are left on the artificial grass for longer periods, especially during the fall season, this would lead to increased risk of fungus or moulds.
- To reduce the amount of fallen leaves on your green surface, we recommend that you trim hedges and overhanging trees oftentimes.
- Try to brush your synthetic grass frequently as this will keep the piles in an upright position and hence give a natural look.
- You may wish to ensure that no weeds will grow by applying a weed killer twice a year. Moreover, if any unwanted organic substances do grow, you will easily remove them.
- Pet owners should instantly remove their domestic animals’ solid waste. If the artificial grass needs cleaning, though, just hose down using a light detergent and a stiff brush.
- We do not advise you to smoke near your artificial grass as this may lead to the fire.
- Metal garden furniture is among our not recommended options since it may damage the artificial grass threads.
- In winter season it’s more advantageous to let snow stay and then melt and drain naturally in spring.
Best Artificial Grass Comparison Chart
|Zen Garden Premium Artificial Grass Patch||$||40" x 24"||4 Tone||1.6"||Weather resistant yarns that are both UV proof and frost proof|
|LITA Realistic Deluxe Artificial Grass||$$$||7'x 13'||4 Tone||1 3/8”||UV resistant polyethylene and poly polypropylene yarn,|
|ALTRUISTIC Premium Artificial Grass||$$$$$||13 ft x 25 ft||4 Tone||1 3/8”||UV resistant polyethylene and poly polypropylene yarn,|
|Synturfmats Artificial Grass Carpert Rug||$||2'x 3'||7 Tone||1”||Eco-friendly , UV Protection Material|
|GOLDEN MOON Realistic Artificial Grass Mat||$$||3'x 13'||5 Tone||0.98”||High quality anti-aging particle with masterbatch|
|PZG Premium Artificial Grass Patch||$$$$||13.2ft x 6.5ft||4 Tone||1.6"||Latex, Plastic, Rubber|
In the end, you will remember not our exact words, but how our useful tips helped you. We hope that the best artificial grass guide you just read will boost your confidence and knowledge when you enter the store to pick and buy your chosen product. And maintaining it after that would be a piece of cake with the best fake grass tips that we compiled for you.
We are open to your feedback and would appreciate any comment left by you. If you liked the article, show it to your friends or share it online. Let us know if anything can be changed or improved. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!